Chapter 67

Viola hugged Jermi, sobbing. "Don't die."

"What?" A chill coursed down his spine.

What did she mean? This felt uncanny, like an unseen blade hurtling towards them.

"Don't go."

"Huh?"

"If you die like this, I'll be resentful for the rest of my life."

Jermi then realized that Viola was talking to someone else.

'A vision?'

She seemed to be hallucinating, witnessing the death of someone precious.

Did someone who was precious to Viola die?

Her slender shoulders were shaking strongly. She seemed stronger than anyone else, but he felt her shudder as if her body was going to break.

"I won't die. Please. Open your eyes."

"I won't beg you to buy me pork cutlets."

I won't bother you. Just, please open your eyes, please." Jermi realized what was happening.

As her spirit affinity was extremely high, she seemed to be vulnerable to the fantasies shown by the spirits. Her powerful bloodline was a double-edged sword.

"It's okay, Viola. I'm not dead." He patted Viola on the back, firmly believing that she would be able to pull through.

'What I can do now is... hold her and try to help her out."

It was surprising.

Jermi never could have imagined that Viola would have a weakness like this.

Who did she miss so much? Who was the enemy that she feared so much?

His thoughts became a little complicated.

Didn't she say that she was found in the slums? Did her parents perhaps abandon her?

It was said that she had stabbed a slave trader with a shard of glass on the day Duke Verratoux adopted her.

'It's not about being abandoned.'

Hearing Viola's sobs, it didn't seem like she had been abandoned. If anything, it seemed that the person she was telling not to die was her parent.

She might have been looking at her mom or dad at this moment.

His heart felt a pang. Seven-year-old Jermi once had a crush on a girl. He went out to the Svon Street intersection every evening to meet her. The girl was blind, and that was where she made a living.

Clink.

A coin fell into her tin.

"Thank you."

"I have to go."

"Thank you."

"I'm saving my pocket money and giving it to you."

He kept his word, and each time, the girl bowed and repeatedly thanked him.

Six months thus passed.

"Can't you say anything other than thank you?"

"That's..."

He had always been dissatisfied, wanting to hear more. Frustrated, Jermi introduced himself only then, "My name is Jermi." At this time, he was very nervous. Excited and overwhelmed even though he was just giving his name. "But you don't have a mom or dad?"

"I don't have any."

"Why?"

"They threw me away."

Jermi learned for the first time that there were parents who coldly abandoned their children. His heart hurt for her.