Chapter 61

Hickson’s apology was quite crude. “It’s…”

“What?”

“I’m sorry.”

“So… what is this about?”

Hickson’s face turned red uncontrollably. Now that he was older, he wasn’t used to apologizing.

It was hard.

“In the past… I hurt you a lot.”

“I heard you became somewhat like a drunk dog.”

“Why are you talking about the past?”

“And correct your words.” Seal set down his cup of warm black tea. White steam rose from the cup. “You didn’t hit me a lot.”

“…What?” He didn’t know what else to say, so he promptly shut up.

“It was a simple situation.”

“Really?”

“I judged that responding to violence with violence was not suitable for the dignity of the nobility.” He laughed. “As long as it’s in the past, that’s fine.”

“…Really?”

“When you lost your daughter, I honestly thought it was justice.”

Hickson frowned. He had come to apologize, but this felt like scratching an open wound. Maybe he should teach Seal a lesson. It’d been a long time since his reputation was cemented, so he felt for a moment that it wouldn’t matter if he acted like it.

“My heart was so evil then too. So let’s forgive each other.”

“Do you even know what it means to forgive? I thought my ears would start bleeding because you always talk about honor and dignity.”

“Let’s make an agreement.” Seal put out his right hand. “I confess and apologize for having an evil heart. I ask for your forgiveness.”

“I can’t think of any reason not to. All right then.”

“Anyway, you accepted my apology. You can’t take it back later.”

Hickson held onto Seal’s hand. “I’m sorry for your son.”

A strange consensus was formed between the two. One lost his beloved daughter, and another lost his beloved son.

After shaking it three times, Seal let go of Hickson’s hand. “I have a question.”

“What is it?”

“You claimed to be the guardian of Princess Viola, right?”

There was a big smile on Hickson’s face. He wagged his index finger. “No. Viola asked me to help her.”

“Princess Viola?”

The princess in Seal’s eyes was cool and reasonable. She didn’t look like the type to reach out to someone for help.

“She wants to have a good adult next to her. She said she needs guidance.”

“That’s unexpected.”

“What about it?”

“That she chose you as a good adult.”

“I know.”

It was funny even to Hickson. What did Viola see that made her want his help? Why did she reach out to him?

“The Princess Viola I know is the owner of a calm and thorough spirit.”