Chapter 1

I thought it was just a dream.

"You'd better read the providence of winter. If you want to survive."

"The Duke has brought me here, so I'll be sharp and cruel in no time."

It was a line that I've heard a lot.

That sharp blade reminds me of the most talented man I've ever known, Heron Verratoux.

That was what Heron Verratoux said when he first met his adopted daughter, Viola.

'This is a dream, right?'

Of course, I am dead.

I thought for sure this was a dream.

I've always had regrets reading the novel "The Shadow of Verratoux." The heroine, Viola Verratoux, was the ruler of the Duke of Verratoux. Eventually, Viola rose to the top with her natural talent and desperate efforts.

But I felt that Viola never felt happiness.

Viola may be the succeeding ruler, but in reality, she was lonely and melancholy. I imagined that made me dream of that thought.

Let's pause for a second.

This is the prologue of the novel.

On the first day, the Winter Castle's owner, Heron Verratoux, brought in Viola, who was abandoned in an empty private house.

There was only one reason why Heron Verratoux brought Viola to Winter Castle.

It was because Viola has a 'talent as a murderer,' near the ending of the novel. She murmured.

I got cherished by Verratoux, but I lost everything because of Verratouxx as well.

As a reader, I always felt sorry for her because of that.

I would have done things differently.

Since I recognized it from a glance.

Usually, whenever the Duke spoke, the seven-year-old Viola, who knew nothing, just listened.

As a reader of this novel, I felt pity for her.

The first step is always the most important for anything.

'Anyway, this is a dream, right?'

So I've decided to do as I please.

"Are you my father now?"

When I said that, Duke Heron, who was walking in the hallway stopped.

The man next to him also flinched.

It seemed like he's Carlton, the Duke's general butler. A dreamy like father.

The Duke of Heron answered in a dry voice.

"That's what it will be."

The Duke adopted me because of my great talent as a killer, which he believed could be a good stimulus to Verratoux's immediate family.

To put it simply, I came here as a substitute, who was originally used and abandoned. However, Viola is the main character in the novel, and with her ability, she was able to overcome everything and become his successor. While in the process, facing a tremendous crisis and a great deal of troubles.

"Have you ever seen me as your family, even once?"

"You have grown up to be a great Verratoux. Family? Saying things like that doesn't suit you at all."

"Yes, it doesn't suit me."

But of course Han Ah-rin, the reader, knew.

I wanted to hear that Viola is actually a part of the family. Not the cruel successor Viola Verratoux.