Chapter 66

[What are you?]

Viola looked around, trying to hide her surprise as much as she could.

'There's nothing here.'

She couldn't see anything unusual. Was it perhaps a spirit speaking? It seemed likely.

"Viola. What's wrong?"

"It's nothing."

Jermi stood in front of the red tree whose branches were split into a trident shape. "So you're saying this tree is suspicious, right?"

"Yes."

Now that she'd given him a hint, he would probably do it on his own. Viola just watched. In truth, the only thing written in the novel was that he had accidentally stumbled upon the strange-looking tree and entered the historic site through it.

"Hmm."

In the meantime, she heard another voice.

[What are you? Answer me.]

Viola agonized for a moment. How would she answer? It would only look like she was talking to herself.

'There was no such content in the novel.'

Spirits appeared when entering the historic site, but no spirits had been found in the Red Tree Forest.

Jermi's conversation with the spirit was also after entering the historic site, so she didn't know why this was happening.

[I know you can hear my voice. I've never seen anyone with as high spirit affinity as you.]

'You can hear my voice because I have an affinity with spirits?'

That was a quality acquired at birth, an absolute power. That the spirit claimed she had it... it was confusing.

Viola in the novel had no spirit affinity. She was indeed an excellent Verratoux, but she was by no means 'spiritual' in any sense of the word.

Thus, this condition was due to her actual identity as someone from another world. In the setting, spirits were beings from different worlds. It was said that these beings exerted their power and appeared in the human world through their contractors.

The so-called, "opening the spirit gate through a contract." In other words, the gate must be opened to pass through worlds.

That was the setting of this novel.

According to the law in this novel, Han Arin had also passed through the spirit gate. That's why she became a character with a very high spirit affinity.'

Jermi said, "As expected, this tree really is suspicious."

And then he said something she didn't understand.

"A special magic circle is engraved. This magic technique is an arcane lock based on Germanato's Third Formula."

The warriors of this era always had to keep in mind the battle against wizards. So, even if she did not learn magic, Viola was quite knowledgeable about the theories and studies of magicians.

It was the same for Jermi.

He tilted his head. "As far as I know, this magic needs the help of a spirit. Without the help of the spirit, we can't pass this defensive magic unless you reverse and break it."

That was what the textbook said.

It was not heavy-duty, but it needed help from a spirit to break.

"But Viola you can see it."