Chapter 20

The door to Duke Heron's office opened, and the butler, Carlton, pulled out a thin sword. Carlton is one of the few close associates who can pull out a sword in front of Heron Verratoux. He aimed towards the man who was entering the room.

"Sir Hixen, be polite."

Who dares to open the door of the duke's office without knocking?

Hixen grabbed the blade of the thin sword with his finger and pushed it away. Duke Heron, who was sitting on a chair and glancing at the documents, opened his mouth.

"Just leave it."

Hixen smirked and approached Heron, who didn't bat an eye towards him once since he entered the room.

"What is it?"

"You have a cute daughter."

At that moment, Heron's body flinched.

"Cute?"

It was strange to hear 'cute' through Hixen's mouth. Verratoux and cuteness are more opposite than oil and water. That was how it had been and how it was supposed to be. One can't be cute.

"Yes, she is very cute."

"That's not Verratoux-like."

Hixen sat with his hips attached to Heron's desk.

"Do you remember what my old dream is? A dream that you laughed at."

"..."

Heron continued to sign the document with his fountain pen without answering. It didn't seem like he was concentrating on what Hixen was saying.

"I had lost that dream, and my world had collapsed."

"So?"

"And I became a drunkard." Hixen sat cross-legged.

"I know why you let me stay there in the annex."

He pointed his finger at Carlton.

"That old cunt would have always insisted on kicking me out."

He continued. "Your wife, like a snake, would have been looking for a chance to poison me as well. Because I am a stain to Verratoux."

"You know it well."

Heron signed another document, then handed it over to Carlton. Carlton, who received the document, bowed down and left the room. So, the only people left in the office are Duke Heron and Hixen.

"And yet, you left me in the annex."

Only then did Duke Heron become his old friend. He looked at Hixen and spoke honestly without hiding his thoughts.

"If you don't get better. I'll have you by my side to kill you myself."

"How long are you going to wait and see?"

"Five years."

'Five years.' Hixen burst into laughter. 'As expected, Heron is Heron. He hasn't changed at all.'

"That's how my friend Heron respects me."

"You must have come to your senses."

"Yes, it's a big dream to become a new person again, but my dream's right anyway."

Heron's eyebrows raised.

"Dream?"

"Yes, your daughter. Viola, who is registered as your ten-year-old daughter on paper."

"What do you want to say, Hixen?"

"The absolute law that you and I set as children, do you remember?"