Chapter 47

"Because there shouldn't be more sad people like my uncle."

Hickson's nostrils fluttered open. To exaggerate a little, it seemed that a white runny thing was spewing out.

"Did you hear that?"

"What do you mean?"

"She said, my uncle."

"Is that a serious matter?"

"Right."

Hickson burst out into laughter.

He looked happy to die.

Meanwhile, Jackal didn't understand Hickson's mind. What's so serious about 'my uncle'?

"Anyway. I'll explain."

Hickson stepped in and explained. He had also lost his daughter, too.

"The situation is very, very similar, you and me."

Both were fathers who loved their children... And, they both were warriors boasting strong power.

"The kidnapping was done at the right time, calculated very cleverly. I couldn't find any traces of it, and I was only used here and there, and I ended up being a coward, broken down and depressed."

"...The rumors are familiar to me."

"You know what I did then?"

"I've heard that you attacked all kinds of families viciously."

"And?"

"You invaded the winter castle and made a riot, but was overpowered by Duke Heron and exiled to the annex."

"What kind of exile? I let him win."

Hickson looked into Viola's eyes. It seemed that he didn't want to announce the fact that 'her Uncle' had suffered a bad defeat. He then quickly changed the subject.

"And, you? You attacked the winter castle, right?"

"That's right."

"Let's say that it was because we're threatened."

So did Hickson. He lost his reason and acted.

Viola was right.

'And, why didn't you know that even a child like me could figure it out? Is this all a coincidence?'

Hickson continued his remarks.

"Looking back, I was possessed by something."

"What are you talking about?"

"I don't know for sure, though I'm sure it's some kind of magic."

Viola spoke out. "It's the result of three years of tracking. I'm working to avenge Uncle Hickson together and to prove myself as a white Veratoux. That's why I want to help Sir Jackal."

These words instilled a sense of trust in Jackal.

It was more suspicious to just help for no reason.

"A move to prove your ability as a white Veratoux. It's an extremely Veratoux-like idea."

"I'm Veratoux."

"What do you mean by some kind of magic?"

"A cowardly and crude magic that penetrates the hearts of parents who love their children. Even the most powerful warrior is helpless when attacked with mental hypnosis or suggestive magic."

So did Hickson, and so did Jackal.

They acted like something was out of order. If Hickson had been in a normal state, he wouldn't have become depressed. Had Jackal been in normal condition, he wouldn't have even published a column towards Winter Castle.