He tried to look at the big picture as Viola did, intuitively grasping the idea.

"This is a natural consequence of approaching a daughter who's about to enter society."

As someone with the kind of appearance that drove all kinds of rumors, Jermi could understand. The rumors were absurd, like the one where he was secretly married even at such a young age, but people still believed them.

"When someone like me approaches someone from an influential family..."

It was only natural for suspicions to pop up.

"That makes sense," Jermi said.

"But openly like this?"

"I wasn't ordered to keep it a secret".

"For missions that require discretion, of course, I take all the precautions," Xenon reassured.

"I see."

"That said, I don't think this is a mission that requires me to keep it a secret."

Jermi laughed. "So, the justification is a background check."

It was also a warning. Both of them were high-profile, so it was easy for things to get out of hand unexpectedly.

"I'll be watching you openly, so keep yourself in check."

"All this consideration, what is all this?" Jermi found it more and more fun, especially because of his recent encounter with Tundra...

'So that's what the Tundra meant.'

He thought of himself as a dog, so it was natural for him to be protective—even possessive—of Viola.

'But even the Duke of Heron?'

Jermi was growing more and more determined to be friends with her.

"That sounds like a good idea," he said, then muttered to himself very quietly, "I want to get closer to you gradually."

Viola, the current object of his interest, felt uneasy. Thoughts bounced around her head as they traveled to their destination.

'What's wrong with my father?'

'What politics are involved in this?'

'Am I improving?'

'As a White Verratoux, what kind of position do I have?'

'Should I take a stronger stance?'

'This wasn't in the novel!'

By the time they arrived at the Red Tree Forest, her head was aching.

The red-barked trees surrounded the path that they were on.

"The first expedition team went missing around here. We'll be going deeper... to the exact location." Jermi pointed at a place on the map, taking the lead.

They walked for about two hours until Jermi started pointing out more locations. "The second expedition went missing here. And the third expedition was supposed to arrive at a historic site here."

Discovering the existence of historical sites was the role of the sergeant in each expedition. It was their job to revitalize the site and explore its capabilities. Such an important task was usually relegated to those in authority.

"I hope what they found here was something very good".

According to the setting in the novel, here was an ancient civilization that used to exist here. Most of the historical sites that were currently being discovered were remnants of this "Golden Magic Civilization".