Chapter 40

A couple days passed before it was finally Violet's birthday. In the meantime Korra had finally appeared in Republic city where she had contacted Tenzin and the others. Mako and Asami had agreed to keep it a secret from both sisters that the other was in town. After all, Korra still believed her little sister was dead. It would be a huge surprise.

Korra and Asami walk into a restaurant, where Mako is leaning against a booth.

"Korra!" Mako smiles seeing her

"Hi, Mako." Korra greets

They hug each other before Wu appears.

"Hello there, Prince Wu, rightful heir to the throne and" Wu pokes Mako in the chest with his elbow "this guy's boss. I bet he's told you a lot about me."

"Nope." Korra replies "Not a thing."

"Then we have so much to talk about." Wu pushes Korra into the booth, sitting down next to her. "You are going to love the food here, I know the chef personally." He looks at a server "Let's start with a round of your spicy octopus fritters and keep the cucumber-aloe water coming!" He looks at Korra again. "Gotta keep this princely skin hydrated."

Asami and Mako sit down opposite of Korra and Wu.

"I thought it was gonna be just the four of us?" Asami whispers to Mako

"Sorry, but I couldn't ditch him. But he promised to be on his best behavior." Mako replies

"Where is Violet anyway?" Asami asks "It's her birthday."

"She said she had to do something, she'll be here soon." Zuko replies

Wu leans in very close to Korra "Hey, pop into the Avatar State for me. I want to see your eyes glow."

"What? No!" Korra refuses annoyed

Wu disappointedly sits back normally.

"So can you go into the Avatar State again?" Asami asks "I was worried when you told me you couldn't."

"Wait, when did she tell you she couldn't?" Mako questions, nobody answers, while Wu keeps sucking on his drink. "What's going on with you two?"

"I wrote to Asami while I was away. I asked her not to tell you. I'm sorry." Korra replies hesitantly

"Well, why didn't you ever write to me? Or Bolin?" Mako asks slightly irritated

"I don't know. I guess.. I didn't know what to say." Korra replies

Mako sits back, crosses his arms in front of him "Hello would have been nice."

"Mako, if it makes you feel any better, she didn't write me either." Wu says

"Why would she.." Mako sighs. "Never mind."

"I'm sorry I didn't stay in touch, but I'm back now." Korra says happily "And I wanna know everything about what's been going on with you two."

"Well, a lot." Mako says

"Yeah," Asami agrees "It's strange to be all together again."

"It's been forever, 3 years," Korra says looking down "Vi.. would've turned 21 today."

Mako looks over to see Violet enter the restaurant, looking around.

"Well, she is turning 21." Mako says, raising his hand to Violet

Violet smiles seeing him and makes her way over

"If she was still alive." Korra looks sad

"Korra?!" Violet looked surprised as she reached the table

Korra turned around so fast.

"Violet?!" Korra shouts surprised

"Surprise." Asami and Mako smile

The two sisters hug each other tightly.

"You're alive!" Korra cries

"Yes," Violet began to cry too

"Sorry, we didn't tell you sooner Korra." Asami apologizes "We thought, it would be a good birthday present for Vi."

"This is the best present, " Violet smiles to them as she wipes her tears "thank you."