Chapter 35

"Mako, I'd like you to meet my Fiancé" Wu gestors to the girl next to him

Mako stood in shock seeing the girl standing next to Wu, it was the girl he believed to be Violet.

"Viol- I mean Vi." Mako says surprised

"Hello, I look forward to being guarded by you." Vi bows

"What the heck?!" Mako looks at Wu angrily

"What?" Wu asks confused "I told you I had a fiancé, she was some really pretty girl in an earth kingdom village, the elders recommended her for queen." he puts his arm around Mako "she's quite pretty isn't she?"

"Too pretty for you." Mako mutters

"I'm very grateful for the village for taking me in" Vi smiles "I'm glad I can serve our great kingdom by becoming the future queen."

"Yeah yeah honey, you were picked for your looks not your words." Wu waves her off

"Don't speak to her like that!" Mako shouts at him

"Woah Mako relax." Wu slides away from him and stands next to Vi

"Prince Wu please don't take his words to heart." Vi looks at him "I remind him of an old friend of his."

"...she was my girlfriend." Mako says balling his fists

"Well, she'll be joining me during my coronation." Wu tells Mako "Make sure you guard us well.. but mostly me."

"I would gladly choose her over you." Mako mutters

Wu walks around Vi "Well the description of your beauty matches well, besides that hideous blue mark around your neck, be sure to cover it."

"I will as your highness pleases." Vi replies with a smile

"I'm gonna punch him." Mako mutters

-

Wu's coronation was in the middle of Republic City, where many people gathered. Vi stood next to Mako, nearby as Gun pins the earring on Wu.

"Now rise, Wu of the Hou-Ting Dynasty, King of all the Earth Lands and glorious defender of Ba Sing Se. Long may you reign!"

A few people are applauding in the crowd.

"Thank you, for that incredibly brief, but very moving ceremony." Wu steps towards the mic "I am touched by the love of my devoted countrymen, who have worked so hard to restore their beloved leader to the throne. One of them deserves special attention. Kuvira, rise!" She walks over to him. "For your service to the realm, I would like to present you with the Kyoshi Medal of Freedom, our nation's highest honor, which was somehow not stolen, unlike the royal pinky rings."

"Thank you. And if you don't mind, I would like to say a few words." Kuvira says

"Why not?" Wu shrugs annoyed "We've got six hours to fill..."

"Growing up in Zaofu, with Suyin Beifong, I learned that the idea of a royal family passing a title from one generation to the next was archaic, and that technology and innovation should be what drives a nation forward. It was the pathetic rule of kings and queens that caused the Earth Kingdom to descend into such incredible disarray. It's taken me three years to get it back on track, and there is no way I will allow it to slip back into the dark ages. I'd like to make an announcement to the world: the Earth Kingdom is no more. And from here on out," Kuvira gestures to Wu "this man has no authority."

The crowd gasps in surprise.

"Wait, what? But I just got the royal brooch!" Wu panics

Kuvira turns to the crowd again "I have created a new Earth Empire, and I will continue to lead it into the future myself, bringing about a new era of prosperity for my people."

The crowd cheers and applauds.

"We love you, Kuvira!"

"All hail the Great Uniter!"

Vi looked on in fear, then suddenly her head throbbed and a voice was heard in her head "Now, ten thousand years of darkness begins!" Vi held her head in pain and Mako looked at her worried.

"And let me assure my fellow leaders of one thing" Kuvira grabs the medal Wu hung around her neck and pulls it off, breaking the ribbon before letting it hover over her hand. "Anyone who crosses our borders or stands in our way, will be crushed." she crushes the medal and drops it on the floor.

Wu sighs "Worst coronation ever.

-

Vi was tossing and turning in her bed that night. Voices rang through her head repeatedly.

"The Avatar Switch huh? All i see is a weak little girl" 

"After I take your bending away, you will be nothing" 

"All alone now little guardian. You coward" 

"You're free to run home with your tail between your legs."

"Republic City is mine!" 

"The Switch and the Avatar has never trained together before, they're 2 different beings" 

"On the charge of treason, the rest of you are all found... guilty. The punishment for this crime... is death" 

"If you start a war, the dark spirits will annihilate the South." 

"Now, ten thousand years of darkness begins!"

"Say hello to the Earth Queen for me." 

"Take out the Guardian!"

"Go away!" Vi shouts as she sits up in bed panting

"It seems your past still haunts you." Sozin's spirit shows up

"You.." Vi stares at him "You're a spirit."

"And you are lost." Sozin replies as he walks over to her

"What are you doing?" Vi asks scared

"I will help you remember who you are." Sozin put his hand over her eyes "I'm not doing this cause I care about you or anything.. I'm simply paying back the favor I owe."