Chapter 23

Violet tossed and turned in her bed, her spirit seemed unsettled somehow. She soon drifted into a deep sleep where she was faced with the spiritual image of a little girl around the age of 11.

"Who are you?" Violet asks confused

"My name's Lulu" the young girl replies with a smile "I'm like you"

"You're.. what?" Violet questions

Lulu looks around before whispering "I was the first guardian" she giggles and grabs Violet's hand "Come on, I'll show you"

The background fades into a tree house where Lulu was playing with a doll while a young man sat on the ground to her left. They soon looked over where another boy was climbing through the door.

"Wan!" Lulu grins

"I'm home" Wan smiles happily as he held his arms out

Lulu ran over and hugged him.

The other boy, Jaya, sighs while Wan digs into his shirt to take out some food.

"Did you steal from the Chous again?" Jaya asks

Wan looks sad "Yeah, and I got to nothing show for it except a few dirty rolls and a whole lot of bruises" He hands Lulu and Jaya a roll.

Jaya smiles and walks over to a figure who is shadowed "Hey, Yao, I got some food for you" A branch-like hand reaches out to grab the roll to reveal a disfigured old man who appears partly quasi-treelike. Yao eats the roll, closing his eyes and smiling in delight.

"Mmm. Delicious!" Yao open his eyes to Wan. "Thank you, Wan"

"Wan look" Lulu holds up a picture with poorly drawn people on it

"Wow did you draw that?" Wan asks as he takes it "Is this all of us?"

"Mhm" Lulu has a big smile on her face

"Great job, it looks great" Wan pets her head

Lulu runs off to go play as Wan's happy smile is replaced with a sad one. Two skunk squirrels, a peacock pigeon, and a woodpecker lizard enter the house as Wan sits down in front of them. They all look at him and his roll.

"You guys are hungry too, huh?" Wan tears small pieces from his roll and feeds it to the animals, who all eat happily.

"Wan, you should eat" Jaya says

Wan sighs "They need it more than I do. Besides, I'm tired of eating scraps" he takes a cup and teapot from a nearby table and pours some tea for himself "If only there was some way to get into the Chous' food cellar. We'd be eating like, well, like Chous."

"If Chou the Elder catches you sneaking into his palace, you'll end up dead. Or worse, he'll banish you to the Spirit Wilds." Jaya tells him "You'll pull poor Lulu down with you, your little sister needs you Wan"

Lulu walks out of the tree house and sits on the balcony. She smiles and breathes in the fresh air. A gentle breeze shook the tree branches as she looked out into the city. Wan walks out of the tree house moments later.

"Lulu I'm headin out" Wu pats her head "be good and wait for me here"

"Ok" Lulu agrees happily before using her stuffed bear's hand to wave bye "bye bye Wan, see ya later"

Wan smiles before heading down the tree. Hours later, Wan returns to the tree house where Jaya was playing Pai Sho with Yao.

"Wan, you're back" Jaya looks up at him

Yao rubs his stomach "What goodies did you snatch for us this time?"

Wan demonstrates his ability to firebend by extending his hand, causing a small flame to appear in his palm much to Jaya's surprise. Yao yelps in shock and crouches back into a corner, shielding himself. Wan closes his palm, extinguishing the flame.