Chapter 38

Violet stood in front of Wu's room at the hotel. She took a deep breath before knocking on the door. After a bit the door opens to reveal Mako.

"Vio- Vi" Mako quickly corrects himself "Sorry, uh-"

"Who is it?!" Wu shouts from the other side of the room

Mako sighs before turning around "It's just Vi your highness."

Mako moves out of the way so Violet could enter. Violet walked into the room to see Wu standing there looking upset.

"Are you alright your highness?" Violet asks

"No, I'm not. First I lose my suite, then I lose my throne. My royal brooch is a lie!" Wu rants before looking at the two "And I know Mako must be crushed, not getting to come back to Ba Sing Se with me."

"Don't worry about me. I'll.. find a way to make it." Mako replies with veiled sarcasm

Violet hides a laugh and Mako looks at her surprised.

"Good ol' Mako, my big tough guy." Wu grunts. "Okay. I just have to go on, move forward, and take decisive action. Let's go shopping!"

"Is shopping a good idea here?" Violet questions

"Yeah, it's fine," Wu replies

"Your highness, I'm afraid I have bad news." Violet says

"More bad news?" Wu whines

Someone knocks on the door, and Mako, opening it, finds Bolin on the other side.

Wu peeks over Mako's shoulder "Ugh. Get rid of him. He's with her."

"He's my brother." Mako states "I'll go in the hall."

"Great, Wu, let's talk." Violet smiles

"Alright." Wu walks towards her while Mako walks out to the hall.

"Interesting ceremony, huh?" Bolin asks nervously

"You aren't going to keep working for Kuvira now that she's going against the wishes of the entire world, are you?" Mako questions

"You don't understand. Kuvira is helping out all the poor people of the Earth Empire." Bolin explains "People like our family. This is for the best."

"I don't know, bro." Mako rubs his neck

"Okay, why don't you come with me, and you'll see for yourself?" Bolin suggests "We've done a lot of good, and Varrick is working on some new innovations. We're making history."

"By 'crushing' anyone who gets in your way?" Mako questions

"That was just some tough rhetoric to let the people know that we mean business. I mean, Kuvira is basically just like Korra." Bolin says and Mako gets the raised eyebrow look on his face. "She might seem hard to deal with, but just because she's so passionate and believes in what she's doing."

Mako sighs "It seems like she's just a dictator who's taking the Earth Kingdom by force."

"Oh, okay, you think your new best friend in there," Bolin angrily points to the door of Wu's suite "would be a better leader than Kuvira?"

Mako thinks for second "Well, no, but still.."

"Still what? Come on, Mako! I'm making a difference out there, what are you doing, huh? You're just some glorified butler for some snotty rich bozo!" Bolin shouts before starting to walk away

"I'm sorry, I don't want to work for your glorious emperor and her military dictatorship." Mako growls

"Fine! I'm going to go back to my awesome train, where we bring freedom where ever we go! Enjoy licking the king's boots in your junior suite!" Bolin storms off, leaving a disgruntled Mako in his wake.

Mako walks back into the suite to see Wu in tears at Violet's feet who was staring at him looking annoyed.

"Uh.." Mako starts awkwardly "is this a bad time?"

"Mako!" Wu cries running to him "Vi says she's not gonna marry me!" He sniffles "she says she already has a boyfriend."

Mako looks up at Violet with a hopeful look.

"Oh yeah," Violet smiles "I just remembered. I have a hot headed firebender waiting on me."

"Violet!" Mako runs up to her and hugs her

Violet rests her head against his chest "I'm back."