Chapter 33

After returning to Zaofu, Korra attempted to trap Zaheer in the spirit world while Mako and Bolin tried to get through to Tenzin. Violet stood outside petting Zuko's dragon as he prepared to leave. Korra soon came outside.

"You're leaving? Aren't you coming to the air temple with us?" Korra questions

"I'm sorry, but I can't." Zuko turns to her "I'm going back to the Fire Nation. If it's true that the Red Lotus is targeting the nations' leaders, I need to protect my daughter."

"I understand. You have to keep the Fire Lord safe." Korra nods "But before you leave, I was wondering if you could help me with something."

Zuko smiles "I was often Aang's counsel and I'd love to be yours."

"That just it. You knew Aang better than anyone. I was wondering if you knew what he might do if he were in my situation." Korra asks

"Hmm. Rebuilding the Air Nation was Aang's biggest dream. He would be beside himself with joy with what you've done. And if he accomplished that goal, he might have sacrificed anything to protect it." Zuko replies

"So he would give himself up to save the Air Nation?" Korra asks

"I don't know for sure. The airbenders might have been closest to Aang's heart, but, as the Avatar, he was concerned with people of all nations. No one knew better than Aang that in times of turmoil" Zuko reaches out to hold Korra by the shoulder "the world needs its Avatar the most."

"Thanks." Korra smiles "Your uncle was right. It was helpful talking to you."

"Wait, you spoke with my uncle?" Zuko asks

Korra nods "Yes. In the Spirit World. A couple of times actually."

Zuko listens with surprise as Mako runs toward them "Guys. We got through to the air temple."

They run inside where Bolin was on the radio "I told you, it's Bolin! No! I'm not looking for Bolin, I am Bolin! Gah, look, I need you to find your dad. No, a whole herd? Really?"

Korra pushes Bolin aside "Meelo, this is your commanding officer. Go get your dad, now!" after a bit of waiting she was getting anxious "Come on, come on...Tenzin! Listen to me carefully. Zaheer is on his way to the temple. He's coming for the airbenders. You have to get everyone out of there immediately. Drop everything. Leave! Now! What? What is it? Tenzin! Tenzin, what's happening?!"

"What's going on?" Violet asks concerned

Korra turns to them "They're there!"

Everyone immediately prepares to depart.

Mako grabs Violet's arm "Are you sure you're ok to be coming?"

"Yes, Mako." Violet says "Right now we have to take action."

"Right." Mako nods "I'll make sure we save them."

"Thank you." Violet smiles

-

As Suyin's airship flew above several mountain ranges growing closer to their target location, the group gathered around.

Suyin places an airship figurine in front of the temple "I say we make our approach from the west, drop down from the airship on cables, ambush these Red Lotus low-lives before they know what hit them."

"It will never work. That Combustion Lady will pick us off one by one." Lin disagrees

"You have a better idea on how to save the airbenders?" Suyin asks

"Yeah. We come up from the valley, scale the side of the mountain and take them off guard." Lin replies

"That could work." Tonroq agrees