Chapter 34

Kara, Lena, Alex, Ashley and Natalie are now on their way to Midvale, about 20 minutes into the drive. Alex is driving, just like she said, and Lena is sitting in the passenger seat next to her. Lena did offer Kara to sit in the front next to her sister, but Kara and Alex thought it might be a bit weird and awkward to have Lena not sitting in the front of her own car. Therefore, Kara is sitting in the second row of the car, behind Lena's seat, with Natalie sitting next to her, behind Alex's seat. Ashley is then in the very back of the car, on the final row of seats.

"So, Natalie, Ashley, do you have any guesses as to what gender the baby is going to be?" Alex asks, deciding to start a conversation with the young girls.

"I think it will be a girl, like us!" Natalie says, excitedly.

"Okay." Alex nods, "What about you, Ashley?"

Ashley doesn't respond to Alex's question. So, as a result of this, Lena and Natalie both turn around to look at Ashley. Lena a bit annoyed with how rude her daughter is being.

"She has her headphones in." Natalie says.

Ashley now notices people looking at her, so she takes one of her earphones out.

"Huh?" Ashley says.

"Alex was just asking you, what you think the gender of the baby is going to be?" Lena asks.

"Oh, uhhh.... I don't know. I haven't really thought about it. I don't really care." Ashley replies, "Although, I have a little sister already, so maybe it would be cool to have a little brother too."

Ashley then doesn't wait for anyone to say anything back to her, and just puts her earphones back in. Lena, for her part, simply takes Ashley's answer, as she thinks that's the best she is going to get right now. At least Ashley is somewhat engaging.

"So, Natalie, are you excited to see Midvale? Where Kara and I grew up?" Alex asks.

"Uhhh.... I think so. I don't know anything about it though." Natalie replies.

"Oh, well, Kara, why don't you tell Natalie about Midvale, and all the things you are thinking of showing everyone over this weekend?" Alex suggests, wanting to include her sister in this conversation, as the point is for Kara to bond with Natalie and Ashley after all.

"Right!" Kara nods, jumping into action, "So the first thing you should probably know about Midvale is it is a very rural area. It's basically just a small town, with other smaller towns around it, but with a lot of forestry areas and lakes and everything. It really gives off a country vibe, and it's very beautiful. But don't get me wrong, it doesn't feel like you are in the middle of nowhere or anything. There are still shops, and movie theatres, and all the other things that you would find in a city like National City. There just aren't as many of them."

"It sounds nice, doesn't it, Natalie?" Lena says, as she turns around to look at her youngest daughter.

"Yeah." Natalie nods, with a smile.

Upon seeing Lena turn around again, Ashley, once more, takes one of the earbuds out of her ears.

"What are you talking about? Were you just trying to speak to me, mom?" Ashley asks.

"No." Lena says, "Kara was just explaining what Midvale is like, and everything there is to do there."

"Oh. Cool." Ashley nods, "I actually googled Midvale during this week, as I wanted to see some pictures of it."

"What did you think?" Kara asks, as she turns around to look at the 14-year-old.

"It looked..... different from the city. There's obviously a lot less pollution, and a lot more nature." Ashley says.