Chapter 98

Teiji had dropped Nanaya off at the mansion before returning to school that Friday evening. As the magical boy walked through the door, his father was leaving his office, a cup in one hand, a sheaf of papers in the other.

"Thoki," he called, "have you seen one of my order reports for Moriya Hospital? I'm missing one."

"You left some papers on the living room table," Thoki's voice answered from the kitchen. 

Nakamara looked up to finally see his son and his lips quirked into a smile.

"I'm home," Nanaya announced solemnly, smiling back.

"Welcome home."

Nanaya joined her father who placed a kiss on his forehead before leaving to find the missing document. The magical instead headed for the kitchen. Thoki was preparing the evening meal.

"Welcome home," he said when he saw Nanaya at the door, "are you staying for the weekend, young master?"

"Yes," answered Nanaya, "I need you for a homework assignment."

"Me ?"

Nanaya told him what it was all about while watching him cook. The butler remained silent throughout the explanation. The young man couldn't help but notice an oddly dark look on Thoki's usually soft face.

"...if it's too hard," Nanaya breathed, "I'll ask someone else..."

"No, that's not it," Thoki said, smiling again, "it's just been a long time since I've spoken in detail about my power and my past. I know this exercise well, your father and your grandfather had the same assigment. But they interviewed more interesting people..."

"You talk like you're not."

Thoki affectionately stroked the young man's hair, smiling gently. He was grateful. But it was rather late. He proposed to Nanaya to do this the next afternoon. They would make tea and cookies to make the interview more enjoyable. Right now he had to finish dinner, feed Kemori, and he also had laundry to hang up.

Nanaya let him work. He began to think that Thoki really had a lot of work to do. He took care of all the chores, the garden, the kitchen, also acted as driver and nanny. He hardly had a minute to himself. And that had been going on for years. Why did his family never hire other employees to help with his chores? Were they afraid of running into a spy, someone with bad intentions? Or maybe Thoki was refusing help?

He spent the evening getting ready. Chatting with his friends on his phone, via group chat, he picked up some ideas for questions to ask. He would use his tablet to write everything down. He did not see the time pass and went to bed after Thoki knocked on his door to remind him that he had to sleep.

As Thoki served breakfast, Nakamara took Kemori to take care of him. The butler indicated that he had already prepared some food for the afternoon, but that he would be going shopping this morning. Nanaya then had to explain to his father the duty he had to do.

"Oh, yes," Nakamara exclaimed, "I had had the same. The three schools have roughly identical programs. I had just interviewed a professor. Why didn't I think of Thoki..."

"I don't blame you, master," Thoki said, picking up the baby, "I'm going to put him to bed and I'm off on the run."

"You did not eat ?" Nanaya remarked.

"Oh, I had a coffee when I got up, that's enough."

"Hm..."

"Thoki..." Nakamara muttered, "you know, you're not just a butler to us... you can sit and eat with us when you're done serving..."