Chapter 30

The stress of the exams had subsided once they were passed and there was only one day left until the festival, scheduled for the first day of vacation. All the students were finishing the preparations. Those in the courtyard set up the last stands while Aitori's early years finished the horrific decoration of the study room and tried on their costumes. Kotaro had opted for a werewolf. Nanaya's class was also trying on and setting up tables in the refectory, decorated for the occasion. Mineko did not fail to photograph her girlfriend, but also Nanaya. When he saw the costume he had of course refused and their teacher was perfectly fine with finding him a waiter outfit, but Mineko had managed to convince him. So he finally wore the maid dress, like his classmates.

The twins, Enko and Ita disembark dragging Kotaro away, eager to show off their terrifying costumes. Haru and Jun struggled to move around, disguised as horrific Siamese, they had made a costume which they both wore.  Ita had obviously opted for a vampiric queen, although the fake blood was missing. Sooner had she entered the cafeteria than she demanded that someone could convince Kotaro to taste his blood and use it for her costume. Kotaro scolded her immediately, annoyed. She hadn't stopped since the start of the year. Enko wore a simple bloody nurse costume and wore a fake fetus belt. Kotaro was decked out in fake ears and a fake wolf tail, with partially torn clothes.

They had entered for a few minutes, followed by Kenji who wanted to compliment their disguises, when Nanaya came out from behind the curtain installed at the back of the room, so that the students could change. They were all speechless.

"Ok..." Haru muttered. "Now is the time to ask myself questions about my sexual orientation."

"Uh... I had never been interested in it before." Confirmed Jun.

Kotaro turned to them, furious. The fictitious fangs he had landed made him even more terrifying, and the twins huddled against the door apologetically. Enko and Ita broke the silence by rushing over to Nanaya, shouting that he was adorable and even taking pictures.

"I would definitely come and drink something at the maid cafe for the break." Kenji pointed out, smiling.

"Back off, stupid shark." Kotaro growled between his teeth. 

Surprise passed, they all affirmed that he was really cute like this. The girls helped him adjust the outfit, especially the knots, which he still couldn't do.

Everyone was exhausted from that day, but excited to be tomorrow. This Saturday, the first day of the summer vacation, promised to be exceptional. A big meeting was planned at the end to announce who had passed or not the exams, followed by the graduation of the last years. Even the laziest had got up early to finish the final preparations before the visitors arrived. Luckily, the sun was there.

Kotaro's class was already in costume, they were among the first to be ready. The future villain was in the hall with the twins, Enko, Ita, Kenji and Tomeo. Most of the magical girls had already gone downstairs and the first year girls were in the dining hall, except for the recent couple and the boy in the class. It had worried their friends who were debating whether to go upstairs or not.

Phen-X was joining them to find out what they were all doing there within an hour of opening, as the two girls ran down the stairs, hardly from the maid outfit. Mineko almost missed the last few steps and the adult caught her. Hyokko was with them, but Nanaya was not.

" Calm down." Phen-X advised. "What is happening ?"

"Nana-chan doesn't want to leave his room." Mineko explained, catching her breath.

"He got a text from Matsuura-san early this morning." Hyokko resumed. "His father plans to come to the festival. He's completely panicked, he doesn't know what to do."

"We proposed to borrow a Darkeas uniform and ask the second year to pretend to be his class, but he doesn't trust them."

"He can't even make it clear what he wants... he says he just wants to stay in his room and that his dad should be told he's out of school."

"I'm not sure it works." Tomeo muttered. "Can't he just tell her he wants to stay in Aitori?"

"What do you know about that ?" Growled Kotaro.

"It's crystal clear. Uchiri-san likes this school. And he has too much empathy to be a villain."

No one could find anything to contradict him. But did Nanaya have to have the courage to admit the facts? Several ideas were offered, such as slipping the truth to his father in a roundabout way, or finding an excuse for a possible absence, but nothing could work.

Kotaro finally approached Kenji.

"I'm going to need you." He simply said. "Hang on."

"Excuse-me ?"

"Hang on, I'm telling you! "

Kenji hesitated a moment before putting his arms around his comrade's shoulders. Kotaro lifted him easily despite being a few inches shorter, and left at full speed. It took a moment for the small group that remained there to understand what had happened.

Kenji had screamed in surprise and tightened his grip on Kotaro. He was not used to such speed. Darkeas's student ran out of the school and plunged into the woods, skillfully dodging obstacles. They didn't care how heavy he was, let alone the arms wrapped in fear around him. When he finally stopped, Kenji didn't react right away.

"Hey!" Kotaro called. "You can let go, shark."

"Kuso! You are completely mad!" Kenji yelled without loosening his grip. "I am not used to this speed! Warn when you do that!"

"Sorry, no time. Let go of me now. If you want to throw up I would prefer it to be far from me."

"I'm not going to throw up ..."

Kenji finally landed, pulling away from the younger one. His legs were still shaking. It took a moment for him to realize where he was. It was a clearing in the woods, where a pond reflected the rays of the sun shining through the trees. A huge oak tree dominated the whole place.

"Is that where..." Kenji started.

"Where Nana-chan almost drowned." Kotaro confirmed as he walked over to the oak tree. "Yes. It had become our own little secret place. We would meet here when we wanted to spend time together. Come help me dig."

"Dig? Wait ... what do you want to do here? Will that help Nanaya?"

"Yes. When we were six, our teacher explained the concept of the time capsule. Nana-chan and I decided to make one. With a letter addressed to our future us, and a few things that were precious to us. I think he forgot. We were supposed to open it at twenty, but he needs it. I don't know what he wrote in his letter, but I know he didn't want to become Experion."

As he spoke, Kotaro knelt at the foot of the oak tree and began to scratch the ground with his bare hands, even tearing his fingernails. Kenji joined him and used water to soften the earth, helping him. Kotaro mumbled to himself. He knew it was there. This was where they sat together. They hadn't chosen this location by chance. It took them a few moments, but their hands suddenly hit a metal plate. Kotaro let out a cry of victory and redoubled his effort to extricate the box. An old metal cookie tin. It was a little rusty and the earth had stuck to it.

"We have  to bring it to him." Kotaro said. "Ready for a second round? "

 "Ready for a second round? "