Chapter 10

Mineko had complained of hunger, for not having eaten the night before, despite her breakfast, then started counting her money to see if she could get something from the vending machine. But she didn't have enough. She didn't come from a very wealthy family and her parents couldn't give her more. She was ready to give up when Nanaya offered to give her what she wanted.

" Are you serious ?" She exclaimed.

"Yes." The teen mumbled. "My father gave me some money. I donated some to the school but I think there is enough to buy at least everything from the distributors until the end of the year. "

Mineko was speechless. Kenji wasn't short of money. Both of his parents were full-time heroes, he had never wanted for anything. However, he agreed out of politeness when Nanaya offered to do so too. Son Uchiri then turned to Hyokko. The creature panicked again.

"Are the guardians eating?" The young man simply asked.

"Hah. No." Hyokko explained. "We are spirits, remember. Well... yes, we can eat. But we don't need it."

"You want something ? "

Hyokko looked surprised. He didn't expect so much kindness. Nanaya always seemed so closed. Even offering to offer them a product from distributors, he did it without a smile.

"Well..." muttered the guard. "I love dorayaki ... "

Nanaya froze for a moment, then glanced questioningly at Kenji. The elder took him to a baking machine and showed him a package through the window. It consisted of two soft pancake-shaped cakes and appeared to be stuffed with red bean paste. Mineko began to wriggle all over the place, looking at what was on offer. She couldn't help but mumble out loud, worrying about wanting to ask for something too expensive. It was Kenji who stopped her in his ramblings.

"I, too, want a daifuku." He assured. "Nanaya, you should taste it. These are mochis filled with bean paste. "

He showed him again. Nanaya decided to take his advice.

He wondered, however, how Hyokko was going to take his dorayaki. He had neither legs nor hands. But he didn't have to worry long. The creature simply used its tail. He devoured the pastry with relish.

Nanaya, once again, was amazed by the flavor of the treat.

They stayed together at every break, as well as at noon and dinner time, where, of course, the food was just as amazing to the young man, though nothing to write home about. Chef Josuke seemed very happy to know how much his cooking enjoyed. Nanaya spotted Kotaro at another table, but when he waved his hand, his friend grimaced and looked away. One thing Nanaya reassured was that he didn't seem to be alone anymore. Another Darkeas student sat with him and seemed to chat easily. He didn't look like he was laughing at him or cursing him. Kotaro had never had a hard time making friends. When he was not accompanied by Nanaya, he could blend in with any group. But when they were together, no one wanted them. They didn't want to get close to a villain's son.

Earlier, when Nanaya had joined the class, he had been particularly surprised to find his desk clean. He used, since elementary school, every time he left class, to find his desk smeared with insults upon his return. For the first time, he wasn't just "the son of a villain." And it was nice. He had a sudden urge to stop time.

"Nana-chan, are you dreaming? "

He looked up, finding Kenji's face particularly close to his. He pulled back without knowing why and gently shook his head.

" I'm fine." He said. "It's that, it's really good. It doesn't taste the same as what I usually eat, although it is the same. The meat doesn't look the same either."