Chapter 18

Nanaya froze when he heard that voice. He turned, the whole group mimicking his movement. There stood a tall man wearing a butler costume. He had long gray hair that fell to his waist and shining mauve eyes. His lips were drawn into a benevolent smile. Nanaya was silent, surprised and suddenly stressed. The butler's eyes rested on Hyokko, who was fluttering next to his human.

"Is he a guardian?" The man asked quietly.

"Don't tell Father, Thoki-san!" Nanaya exclaimed. "If he finds out that I was sent to Aitori by mistake ..."

"In Aitori? Really ? Ah. Don't worry, young master, I won't say a word."

Nanaya huffed with relief. He knew he could count on this man.

"Young master?" Kenji repeated. "Who are you ?"

"Oh. I forget the good ways." Huffed the stranger. "I am Matsuura Thoki. Uchiri family's butler from ten generations."

"Ten ?!" Mineko exclaimed. "It's impossible ! You should be over a hundred and you look like your twenties!"

"Thoki-san was one of the very few people who had a gift before the pandemic." Nanaya explained.

"Luckily," the latter continued. "I've always been quiet enough not to end up dissected on a table. I am immortal. It's my power. "

Rena tapped Nanaya on the shoulder to ask her as a sign what was going on and who this man was. But it was Thoki who answered directly. He repeated in sign language what he had just explained.

"I was the one who taught the masters sign language." He resumed while signing. "When you live this long, it's a chance to learn everything you want."

"... Thoki-san." Nanaya muttered. "Have you tried again? "

The butler stopped his gestures. His smile grew a little more wistful as he brought his hand to his bandaged throat.

"It has become more of an OCD than a real envy." He breathed. "You don't have to worry."

"I take it that father is not here ..."

"Indeed. The master is traveling to Europe for the inauguration of a new factory."

"Are you trying to kill yourself?" Fishy said indignantly.

"Wouldn't you do it after so many years? So many loved ones lost? It doesn't matter. I can slit my throat, my wrist, drown or shoot myself, for me it's no consequences. "

The professor was silenced. Many humans were chasing immortality. But it wasn't much of a blessing in the end.

"Sakana Tōrō?" Suddenly asked Thoki.

"We avoid revealing our real names in front of the students." Grimaced Fishy. "I don't remember ever having met you."

"The master has already told me about you. May I ask you why hiding your name? You are not currently wearing a mask."

"Let's be serious for two minutes. I really don't need to hide my face, I have a tail and a glowing lure on my head. Heroes and villains are so common. The mask is just a formality."

"Why not the name in this case?"

"Ask your young master. "

Thoki looked down at Nanaya, while Kenji turned to his teacher.

"But how ..." the redhead wondered. "We didn't ..."

"Uchiri-san had to tell his gym teacher everything to escape the pool." Fishy explained. "And she's not very good at keeping a secret. I think a good chunk of the teachers at the three schools know about it now. How about you, Matsuura-san?"

"Of course." Thoki hissed. "I know."

"It was because your "master" revealed his identity that his son was treated so badly. A child, the son of a villain or a hero, should not suffer from the name of his parents."

" I see."

"By the way, Nana-chan," Mineko called. "Your father is often absent like now?"

"Yes," her comrade replied. "His business requires him to travel often."

"But when he's not here, he can't take a bath with you.

"I take it with Thoki-san."

The girl almost choked on her saliva. Kenji leaned over Nanaya.

"Are you taking your bath with a stranger ?!" He exclaimed.

"But Thoki-san is no stranger." Muttered the magical boy without understanding. "He's like my second father."

Kenji was going to reply, but it was Kotaro, who had remained silent until then, who growled in a grimace:

"Are you saying that because he's always taken care of you or because he's fucking the real one?"

This time Mineko let out a cry of surprise. The professor was seized with a sudden cough and Kenji was speechless. Thoki's smile didn't go away completely but he seemed to be restraining himself from screaming, glancing worriedly at Nanaya.

"Kot-chan ?" muttered the young man. What does it mean ??

"Don't pay any attention to it." Thoki cut, relieved. "Shime-san, I didn't recognize you. When was the last time?"

"Halloween." Kotaro growled, still shocked at his friend's innocence. "Two years ago."

"That is true. You were only invited to the mansion when the master was away. So how can you claim such a thing?"

"... I might have tried sneaking in once or twice when he was there ... and you should really avoid the living room."

"... maybe this will teach you not to go into someone's house if you are not invited?"

"Is that all you can think of to say ?!"

"Still so impulsive, I see. Whatever. Young master, if you want to return to the mansion for the Christmas period, I will pick you up with a Darkeas uniform, so that you change in the car."

"Ah! Thanks, Thoki-san." Nanaya replied.

"I should let you finish your shopping. I have a few things to do myself. Sakana-san?"

"Fishy!" Growled the professor.

"Do you know Henmi Teiji?"

"...Yes. We did our classes together."

"Are you still in contact?"

"We can say that yes."

"Hit him hard for me."

"Excuse-me ?"

The butler just smiled, greeted his young master, and walked away.

Nanaya had understood almost nothing of the conversation. It was the second time he had heard the name Henmi Teiji. What could this man have done to ask his father for forgiveness and be hated by Thoki?

"We should finish the shopping." Fishy muttered with a sigh. "We must be home by school curfew. Let's go buy these sunscreens. "

(here, Thoki and Nakamara helping little Nanaya (let's say 6 years old) creating his first robot)