Chapter 41

The evening went really well. Nanaya took the twins around the mansion and even stealthily showed them the workshop, with permission from his father. Nakamara left with his own car just as Thoki returned from shopping. He greeted the teenagers and went to the kitchen to prepare a TV set for them. The twins even insisted on helping him unload.

Nakamara had an idea, which he texted to his butler. His obsession with not trusting anyone extended to his son's friends. Thoki's bedroom was between the living room and the kitchen, so they were going to put futons in the living room, pretending that they could watch movies for as long as they wanted and even fall asleep in front of them. And at least the butler would be right next door if these boys weren't trustworthy.

So, as he prepared the platters, Nanaya and the twins pushed the couch and chairs to make room in front of the television. Thoki had joined them there with the futons they had set up, before dropping off snacks and drinks for them. There was everything, and even some things Nanaya hadn't tasted yet, like crisps, lupins or olives. Thoki couldn't help but notice the films brought by his young master's comrades. Only horror movies. So Nakamara might have been right to worry, but not necessarily for the right reasons. They were clearly hoping to get closer to the young man.

However, if Nanaya remained impassive and at times even bored in front of the totality of the films, it was Haru and Jun who screamed and hugged him at the first scary scene. After a while, Thoki advised them to end it and watch something else, offering Nakamara's movie collection. They had take only one movie that wasn't horrifying and so decided to take this advice and watch it. It was already past midnight and while this time the twins were calm, and even looked a little moody, Nanaya fell asleep in the middle of the story. He almost fell, but Haru caught up with him, before settling him more comfortably, with the help of his brother. They then turned off the television and lights before going to bed in their futons.

But in the middle of the night, moans and tears had woken them both up. Nanaya seemed in the middle of a nightmare, restless sleep. They both slipped into his futon to hug him and reassure him. Thoki, who was about to come and reassure his young master, watched them discreetly, ready to intervene at the slightest inappropriate gesture, but they just seemed worried. Nanaya regained a calmer sleep and the twins fell asleep like that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That same night in Tokyo, in a dark alleyway out of sight, a middle-aged man was drawn to a tantalizing promise. A young man barely twenty and particularly attractive had invited him there. His immaculate, messy white hair did not go unnoticed, as did his heterochromia, the left eye blue while the right was yellow. His "client" seemed to hesitate.

"Hey, you won't let go after following me here!" Growled the younger.

"That's..." the man mumbled. "I am not generally attracted to men and ..."

"You said you wanted to try something new." The white-haired boy recalled as he removed the mask that covered his mouth, revealing a row of sharp teeth.

"Yes but... no, I shouldn't do that. I have a wife and two sons ... "

Annoyed, the younger did not let him say more. He put his arms around his neck and pulled him to him to give him an intense kiss, to make a prostitute blush. The man didn't even think of pushing him away instantly. It was only a few seconds, however, before he collapsed, suffocating and convulsing. The younger wiped his mouth with a grimace, before putting his mask back on.

"You got fucking cigarette breath." He growled, kneeling beside him. "You wanted to try something new, hope you like it."

He leaned over him and searched each of his pockets and his bag, to retrieve all the valuables. The older one was no longer moving. A mixture of drool and blood escaped his mouth. The youngster didn't care, counting the money he had just collected.

"Is that your power, or did you make him swallow a cyanide capsule?"

The young man jumped to his feet, turning around, pulling a penknife from his pocket. He couldn't make out who was talking to him.

"Put away your claws." Resumed the woman's voice. "I'm not from the police, if that's what worries you. Will you answer me?"

"... That's my power." He finally said. "My saliva is poisoned."

"Impressive."

Meltdown finally stepped forward, a smile on her face. She had seen him hitting on the old man and followed them. If they had just continued, she would have gone her way, but she wasn't disappointed with her intuition. This was something Lord would like.

"You look like you need money." She continued. "Food and shelter too, no doubt."

"Why would you want to help me?" Scolded the young man, suspicious.

"Let it be clear, honey. If things were up to me, I would gladly leave you in your misery. But this is not the case. Tell me ... have you ever heard rumors about a certain Lord?"

The young man raised an eyebrow. Yes. Who has never heard of this name, especially living on the streets? Many thought it was just an urban legend. A rich and powerful smuggler Yakuza leader whose real name no one would know. None of the arrested men who worked for him had ever spoken, and most had just mysteriously killed themselves to make sure no one would force them to do so. Rumors differed depending on who told them, but some things did not change. Lord was a smuggler who hated the powerless and used them as commodities for human trafficking. He was also steeped in illicit sales, mainly of weapons and drugs. But rumors attributed to him so many other illegal businesses, that it was difficult to disentangle the true from the false.

Meltdown smirked. In the face the younger was making, he had clearly heard of Lord before.

"What is your name ?" She asked.

"Tohoshi Kohi."

"Well, Tohoshi-san. Would you be interested in working for Lord?"

"What I'll win?"

"Everyone wins by working for him, believe me. You will have his protection and a roof. All you have to do is obey orders. But that doesn't mean you will be in jail. You are free to leave whenever you want."

"... I guess it couldn't be worse than living on the streets."

"You're going to love the Floating Mansion, I'm sure. Come with me. I'm going to do some recruiting and then we'll go join him."

She held out her gloved hand towards him. Kohi hesitated. Him ? Working for someone who had managed to be so influential without anyone knowing their name or face? Was his damn power really that interesting? All he could do for this Lord would be to seduce his victims to kill them, as he always did. He looked up at Meltdown. She waited patiently, her hand reaching out to him, a sarcastic smile on her face. He sighed.

"I have nothing left already." He muttered. "I don't even know why I'm hanging on to life like this. But... I have nothing more to lose."

He raised his hand and grabbed the hand of the woman in front of him.

"Very good." He said. "If I can be of any help, then... it will be for Lord."

"That's exactly what I was hoping to hear."