Chapter 40

Lilian's POV

"The red looks amazing on you V," Laura gushes.

On the last day of the trip, Chase asked if I would be his date for his hockey Gala.

Of course, I said yes.

Then ten minutes later Shawn got down to one knee in front of Violet, we all thought he was proposing and she pulled him back up to standing.

He dropped straight back down and asked her to go with him to the Gala as friends.

She said I guess so.

She technically already had an invitation from her brother but that's no fun.

Tyler asked Laura later, she was so happy that she was going to wear a fancy dress I think she cried.

So here we are in the tenth store we've been in today, I found my dress at the second store.

Laura's at the fourth and hopefully, this is where we'll get Violet's dress.

"I don't know?" Violet said running her hands down the red silk.

"Violet, we wouldn't let you go out in something if you didn't actually look good, trust me you look stunning." Laura is right, the way the red silk complimented her skin tone and her red hair amazingly, Everything about it is perfect.

"Ok, I'll get this one," she declares.

"Great, I'm hungry let's get food," Laura says. Violet goes back into the changing room to change back into her regular clothes.

Each of us with our dress bags in hand we head into Booster Juice to get some snacks and drinks.

I order a Strawberry Sunshine.

It's the only thing I've ever ordered here and I plan to keep it that way.

We all get our drinks and take a seat at one of the tables.

The Gala is tomorrow which also means it's the last day of 2022, it's weird to think I'm going to have to start writing 2023, a lot has happened this year.

~~

"Lili, you look amazing,"

"Dad, are you crying?"

"No, I'm allergic to the oxygen in the air,"

He pulls me into a tight hug careful not to mess up my hair, Laura would have killed him, she spent an hour doing it.

They came over around lunch today to do our makeup and hair. Then went back to their own house to change into their dresses.

"I have to go now," I say pulling away from the hug.

"Be careful," he warns, I nod. "If a stranger offers you candy to get into their van-,"

"I know, run the opposite way."

"I was going to say tell them to pick me up as well so I can get some candy too," he smiles.

"I really have to go now, Chase is going to be here soon," I check the mirror one more time.