chapter fifty-seven

~maddy lively~

I look at myself in the mirror smoothing down the soft material of my black dress. my hair is curled and put into a half up half down ponytail, Aliyah is clipping the jewellery in my hair. and i smile slightly, ''you look beautiful'' she says with her hands now on my shoulders. Aliyah helped me with my make-up to cover the obvious bruises and then i took some pain medication.

''thank you'' i say nervously because its the first time in along time im in a dress and its not for a funeral, a knock sounds at the door making me and Aliyah look at each other. ''its just me'' jay says and i laugh slightly. he pops his head around the door before stepping in quickly. ''oh my baby boy'' Aliyah says going over and squeezing his cheeks in her hands, i laugh at the messed up expression on jays face as he just goes red.

''both of my beautiful children looking so grown up'' she says looking at us with admiration. ''right im going to tell your farther to wait in the living room so we can get pictures'' she says opeing the door and walking out.

''we got this'' jay says and i nod, ''yeah we are fine'' i say unsure of how much i believe my reply but i dont show my uncertainty. my head has been pounding and i know its from the fight last night but its never done this before usually its a couple days of body aches but ive never had something wrong with my head. my brain feels like its boiling, the pain medication isn't helping a lot.

''maddy come on'' Aliyah shouts from downstairs and i quickly grab my stuff before walking down the stairs. walking into the living room my dad just stops and stares, ''where's my little girl gone'' he mumbles and i laugh slightly, ''god you look amazing sweetheart'' he says coming over to hug me. ''thanks dad'' i say smiling slightly. ''you be safe ok'' i smile and nod, my dad walks away but before he does i catch him rubbing his eyes, i didn't do anything wrong, did i? please dont be sad,

my phone buzzes in my pocket and i pull it out to see lucas typing in the group chat, ' is everyone meeting at the front of the school or in the hall?' he questions and i wait for someone else to answer because i dont know how to answer his question. ''oh maddy this came for you yesterday'' Aliyah says handing me a package. i scrunch up my eyebrows confused, i haven't ordered anything recently.

i place it on the dinning room table because we have to go like right now. ''come on jay'' i shout because he went back upstairs i hug my dad and Aliyah one more time before grabbing my car keys and getting into my car. its really windy outside so i tried by best to hold my dress and hair in place.

jay finally gets into the car, reversing out of the driveway i put my hand up to a women thanking her for waiting. ''are you happy?'' jay suddenly questions and i just look at him, ''in what context do you mean?'' i question and he just shrugs, ''like are you happy mentally and with life itself?'' he clarifies my gaze lingers on him for a minuet before nodding, ''im always happy with life and as for mentally well lets just say im in a better place'' i shrug thinking my answer is a good enough one.

''you know you can let it go right'' he says softly and i just look forward at the red light and the traffic. sighing i turn to him again, ''let what go jay'' i ask getting abit fed up of all of this talk. ''the world you can set it down from you shoulders now'' he says so casually while those words slice right through me. ''and tomorrow if you want to pick it back up then that's your choice but for tonight please mads just let it go you need abit of light in your life'' he says and i just turn away feeling my eyes water.

''we can solve everything tomorrow just be a teenager for tonight and enjoy a dance with our crazy group of friends'' i laugh slightly and nod accepting his words of wisdom. ''you need to stop before i ruin my makeup that your mother spend hours on'' i say and he laughs. i pull up to the school and it shocks me.