chapter twenty-one ~

~lucas bailey~

my feet are burning i feel the sharp gravel grinding under my shoes and my hear hammering against my chest.

just keep going.

i hear the cop cars behind me and the lights flashing over the houses and peoples back garden fences. ''STOP!'' i hear one of the officers shout behind me making me laugh. i see a dead end and mentally slap myself great moms gonna kill me.

''we have you now boy'' one of the men say and i just back up until my back hits the fence behind me. one of them goes to grab me but i pull my arm away. i need to get out of here. the sound of a familiar car engine roars behind me and the three officers. i feel myself smile. i jump out of the way quickly.

the officers all stare at the car until jumping onto the sides of the ground away from the speeding car. his car goes smashing through the fence and i laugh lightly. once it stops i run over and get in the car moving before ive even closed the door.

i look over and see callum in the drivers seat we make it onto the road and i just smile. ''did you get it all?'' he questions ''yes its all here'' i say and he nods. we both look at each other and start laughing. ''you gotta stop getting in trouble man your mom would have killed you if it wasn't for me'' he explains and i just nod my head facing the window.

''love you brother'' i say and he just smiles, ''love you too man''

------

~present day~

my phone buzzes and i rub my eyes open before looking at the lighten up screen.

unknown number

need stuff tonight man you up?? _9:00pm_

lucas?? _9:01pm_

i run my hand over my face and get up throwing a black zip-up jacket on and getting my bag i go and check on my mom making sure she isn't up overworking herself i also go and see if alex is asleep and not secretly playing on his i-pad after seeing that they are both fast asleep. i walk downstairs and unlock the front door.

i get in my car and start driving to the address the man sent me. i stop at a red light and let myself fully adjust to the state im in a stretch my arms out and move my legs alittle trying to adjust to the sudden awakening. a car pulls up next to me and i instantly recognize the car.

maddy?

i look over and see her familiar brown hair hanging low on the right side of her neck exposing her face to me through the window. she looks like she has music on since the bop of her head. or she could be talking to someone on the phone.

she looks stressed, i decide to text her maybe she can hang out after shes gone where she needs too, i look over again and see her now she looks like shes shouting at her car radio probably where the call is.

maddy

-hello are you up?_9:25pm_

i see her pick up her phone and the movement of her mouth stops and she forms a smile. i feel my lips tug lightly. so i do make her happy then. then she presses a button on the radio screen and then my phone lights up, shes calling me. i quickly decline it and text her saying i will call her back in two seconds.

the light turns green and i press on the gas i pull up to the house and hear music blasting from it, must be a party great i take the drugs out of my bag and put them into the little wallet i carry with me. i walk over to the wide open door, and instantly spot him. i go over there and tap him on the shoulder.