chapter twenty-three

~maddy lively~

i walk through to the changing rooms hearing the bellowing sound of the crowd behind me, i stand infront of the mirror and examine the bruises already appearing on my ribs and stomach im defiantly going to feel all this tomorrow.

''you did amazing'' i hear jay say from behind me, ''thanks'' i say i follow his gaze as he looks at my ribs, ''hey its fine'' i say and he shakes his head, ''i love you maddy but i just dont understand why you have started all this again.'' he says and i wish i could tell him its to protect him and everyone else but it just wouldn't make sense for him to know and i know he would try and come up with some lame excuse as to why they all dont need protecting but its my job i need to do it.

plus i enjoy the fighting and in the moment of it i feel invincible but the after-math isn't so well but a positive always comes with a negative. right? ''its fine jay'' i say and he just smiles, ''do you know where Lydia went?'' i questions and he shakes his head ''i dont know but i dont trust her out there by herself so im going to go find her'' he says and i laugh lightly ''go before she causes trouble'' i say turning back around as he leaves.

i get changed and grab my stuff ready to get into a shower and my bed. my phone buzzes in my pocket and i pull it out seeing deigos name pop up.

''hey'' i say into the phone but its silent. ''diego you there ?'' but its still silent. Then an unfamiliar voices blares through the phone. ''come save him maddy before i kill him'' i feel my stomach drop and then suddenly a loud bang is made from the other end. ''deigo! what happened'' i say but there is no response from the other end. just shuffling and other movements, i keep the phone on the call and rush out of this place to my car. ''deigo answer me please'' i say getting into my car and after checking his location i see hes not that far from here.

''im on my way ok just please'' i say and put the phone into the passagener seat before heading in the direction of him, i finally get there and it looks like a warehouse. i quickly get out and lock my car before running in through the front door.

as the door opens it sends an echo in the building its big and weary with a few chairs in the middle one old fashioned tv and rope lying on the ground, i peer round and see a body lying on the floor. i rush over and see deigo struggling to get up with blood around his mouth.

''deigo'' i say kneeling next to him i look down at his stomach hes been shot. ''your ok'' i say pulling out my phone i need to call an ambulance before its too late. ''come on'' i say as the phone rings. deigo shuffles alittle under me making me look down at him. he tries to say something but i cant make out what hes saying from the blood. he finally croaks out ''behind you''.

my eyes go wide and i quickly spin around just to be hit in the head i feel my body go limp and my eyes shut quickly the 911 caller is trying to get me to answer them, i find the strength to say ''help'' before it all goes black.

-----------

my eyes finally re-open but they are faced with a bright light and the sound of beeping. i let my eyes adjust and finally see im in a hospital room. i feel someone move next to me and i spot lucas sleeping with his head next to my arm and body on a chair. Lydia and jay are on the couch and amelia and callum are cuddled on one chair while marcus sleeps on the other side of me with his actions copying Lucas's.

i feel my eyes water, deigo where is he? what happened? who hit me ? ''hey'' i hear someone say and lucas looks at me and i just break. he wraps his arms around me ''your ok'' he says soothingly ''deigo where is he?'' i question and lucas looks at me. ''i think the doctors said he is down the hall he lost a lot of a blood but hes going to be ok, do you know who did this to you?'' he questions and i shake my head, ok deigo is fine we are both fine but what happened.