Epilogue (3)

"A human being can survive almost anything as long as they can see the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it's impossible to ever see the end."

- Excerpt from Elizabeth Wurtzel 

You were the one who treated Brielle poorly.

I grab Dariya's collar and pull her up to my level, forcing herself on her tippy-toes.

"It's not my fault," I seethe.

"Brielle left because she doesn't love you anymore."

"She does, she just is very confused right now because of the things that are happening."

"Oh, she does?" Dolly asks sarcastically, "She doesn't. You have got to admit when you're wrong."

"I do but I'm not wrong."

"No you don't," she argues, "Brielle loved you but you decided to go and marry another woman and have a kid with her."

"She left because she had no place in your life. Imagine Brielle doing that to you. You would go fucking insane."

I swallow, trying not to let Dariya's words go to my head. She's probably not in the best mental state and wants me to go down with her.

Yeah, that has to be it.

Right?

She shoves me and in my distress, I'm knocked a little bit off guard and I let go of her.

"Brielle was suffering," she says, continuing to aid in my realization, "You did nothing and especially didn't comfort her. What in the world did you expect?"

"She's not going to stay with you. I wouldn't either."

I stay quiet, letting Dolly storm somewhere else. I feel my throat close up. I solemnly walk to my room and I see Heaven there, on the bed.

I close the door and I enter my bed, gently pulling Heaven close to me and stroking her black fur till eventually all I can see is colorful blobs.

I blink and a tear falls down my cheek. Soon, more are coming down uncontrollably.

Is Dolly serious?

Was it really my fault?

I gave her everything...

- транс -

"You should believe me, I'm your fucking wife!" Natalie shouts.

"There is fucking evidence? How am I supposed to believe words more than actual proof?"

I recently overheard Natalie having weird conversations on the phone, money not going where she said it's going, stealing my cards and spending them on questionable things, etc.

I have goddamn evidence. She's buying shit for some other man that's not me. I haven't received any gifts recently and the nearest special event is my birthday...

Which isn't for four months.

"It was a gift fo-"

"No it wasn't. I don't like gifts and all that stupid shit. I'm not asking you again. Who is he?" I argue.

"Nobody, I can't believe your getting jealous over nothing."

I scoff. I'm not getting jealous over her. She's not worth it. However, she's not going to slander my name and spend my damn money and it's going to another man.