Changes For the Better Good

"You say my name like I have never heard before, I'm indecisive but this time I know for sure

I hope I'm not the only one that feels it all... Are you fallin'?" 

- Excerpt from Break My Heart by Dua Lipa

I wake up to myself being alone in bed. I toss and turn to find some warmth in the bed because it's rather cold in this house but I can't find anything.

Ugh.

I turn to look at the alarm clock and I read it. 4:33 in the morning. I would go back to sleep but my throat feels dry and I decide to get up and get a glass of water.

Something refreshing.

I'm naked with only my underwear on so I grab one of Lorenzo's short sleeved shirts and go downstairs to get a glass of warm milk.

It's one of my guilty pleasures. It's the thing that would always help me warm up especially on nights when I was homeless.

Except I didn't exactly need to heat up the milk.

I go to call for Lorenzo who might be somewhere in the house but with no lights on, I remember that he's not home.

I walk downstairs and I turn on the lights illuminating the kitchen. Tonight is the night that Enzo is going to find the witness.

He's a murderer and when he casually told me that, I realized that he was going to actually murder someone.

I'm messing around with a murderer.

What is actually wrong with me?

Well, sex is fucking nice with him. I mean really good, so what's the difference? I fucked around with many gangbangers, drug dealers, the whole nine yards.

I go to the fridge and take out the milk. I grab a glass and fill it, warm it up in the microwave, and slowly drink it.

I go to walk upstairs but when I'm about to take my first steps, I hear the door open. I turn around, a bit scared until I realize that the place is surrounded by guards so no one could get in.

It must be Lorenzo.

I go into the living room and drop my glass, causing it to clatter on the floor, warm milk spilling everywhere. Lorenzo limps into the living room and I'm scared.

Is he hurt?

With only the glimmer of the kitchen illuminating the group of people helping him into the room. I look at his hands and I see they're bloody.

What happened to him?

I run to him but Lorenzo holds out a red hand, stopping me in my tracks.

"Stay back, Brielle," he commands me but I shake my head.

"No! You're hurt," I tell him and I take a step but he doesn't retract his hand.

"Kingston, stop her," he groans and he listens. Kingston steps in front of me and I try to go around him but he doesn't let me.

"Lorenzo!" I shout and he doesn't pay any mind. Kingston holds onto my shoulders and keeps me in space. Tears brim my eyes and I want to be reassured that Lorenzo isn't going to die.

Well, he's not clutching his abdomen so hopefully he'll be fine. I don't know. I'm not a doctor.

Lorenzo and the two people holding him bring him into a room and close the door behind them.