Natalie Oblonsky

Arranged Marriage

a group of people forcing a relationship between two individuals just by legally binding it

"He's engaged?" I mumble.

"I mean-"

"He's engaged and you never thought of telling me," I say, my anger rising from my stomach and up my body.

"Please, calm down. There's a good reason," Dariya pleads and I scoff.

"What good reason do you have?! You kept that fact from me. I'm his girlfriend, right?"

"You are. He loves you," she says and I breathe in and out. I don't want to cause an unnecessary and embarrassing scene in front of hundreds of people.

"Her name is Natalie Oblonsky. She's his ex-girlfriend. Mama wants him to get married to her but he doesn't like her anymore, especially her personality. She's a gold digger at heart," she explains and I feel the rage subsiding a little, "Mama probably invited her thinking they could get back together."

Even though Dariya explained the entire situation to me, I can't stop thinking about it.

"Do you have any more cigarettes and a lighter?" I ask and she laughs.

"Of course I do," she says, handing me a cigarette and her purple lighter.

I grab it and walk outside. I light the cigarette and put it in my mouth. I blew in the smoke and out hoping my problems disappear just like the smoke.

A couple of minutes later and a few puffs, someone walks outside.

I know who it is.

I turn around and I'm correct.

Lorenzo fucking Antonov.

The man with a fiancee that I used to not know about.

"I know you know about Natalie," he says and I scoff.

"Yeah, your fiance."

He grabs my wrist and pulls me in, giving me a kiss on his lips.

I don't kiss him back and I turn around to look out of the clear night sky.

I'm still mad that nobody mentioned her.

"Brielle, I promise, I don't love her anymore," he promises, "In fact, sometimes it feels like I never did."

I keep quiet, still looking out and smoking my cigarette.

"To be honest, I asked her to leave especially when I saw you leave the room."

I turn around and look at Lorenzo, trying to cool down my anger but his presence is just bringing it all back.

"Okay."

"Dolly and her fucking big mouth," he grumbles and I laugh.

"Don't be rude to Dariya. You would have never told me," I sneer. I don't care if Dariya has a big mouth because he's not wrong but I'm glad she does because I know the truth now.

"Don't say that."

"So you would tell me?" I retort, "When?" It gets me more mad that he keeps quiet, not answering my question.

"Leave me alone, please," I grumble but he doesn't listen. He grabs my half-finished cigarette and throws it on the ground, stomping the light out.

He grabs my hands and holds them tightly.