Compensation 64

"Greed makes man blind and foolish, and makes him an easy prey for death"

- Excerpt by Rumi

LORENZO WILLIAMS

"What the fuck!" I shout, raising my fist to defend myself but then calm down when I notice Cai.

"What the fuck?" I repeat. I glance at the alarm clock to see it reads 4:02 in the morning. I look to see Brielle who's asleep and topless and I quickly cover her with the blanket and glare at Cai who raises his hands up defensively.

"Something bad happened," he tells me and I raise my brow in confusion.

"Really?" I ask and I turn to cuddle up with Brielle to go back to sleep, "Go deal with it, then."

"This isn't something I should keep from you. Plus, this isn't a situation that can be easily solved by me," Cai advises and I groan.

I really don't want to get out of bed.

"I'm coming," I grumble and I get out of bed. I put on sweatpants and follow Cai out of my bedroom.

I hear crying and, while walking downstairs, that it progressively gets louder and I don't like it. It's familiar.

I know who's crying.

I turn to see who's crying on the couch to confirm my suspicions.

Dariya.

"Dolly, what happened?" I ask, bending down in front of her.

Her face is in her hands and she doesn't stop crying. Her body is shaking and I know something bad must've happened. Thank God, Cai decided to tell me.

Dariya puts her face up and I now know what happened and I clench my jaw.

She has a bruised cheekbone.

"Fuck," I grumble. Someone touched my sister. Someone thought and comprehended that the best thing to do was to hit my sister, especially in her face.

"Dariya, what the fuck happened?" I seethe.

"Tonight, while I was out partying, I encountered Darione," she says, swallowing hard. She grabs a mug and since it has steam coming out of it I'm assuming it's hot chocolate and not some sort of hard liquor.

She's done it before.

"He wanted to talk about his... compensation," she mumbles.

Darione. Full name Darione Lewis is one of our assassins stationed in California. He entered this group when he was 18 years old and he needed money for his mother's hospital bills and he stayed for 10 years. The best, next to mine, group in California.

Three days ago, he wanted out of the group. Personally for me, I didn't like his reasoning for leaving. He told me that he was too mentally "unstable" to stay in this group much longer.

It's already annoying enough that I have to find an assassin in Washington but now replacing one of my best in California too.

I still let him go. I don't like forcing people to stay in the group because it can cause dangerous situations like suicide but they're also most likely to work for the police if they gain hatred to the group and that's... messy.

As long as they keep it quiet and don't rat anybody out to the police and also don't get in contact with the group ever again, I really don't care.

Unless they want someone killed. However, no discounts and also if you were an assassin you most likely would just do it yourself.