Spiraling Thoughts

"He was obsessed, and obsessed men are dangerous men." 

- Excerpt from Karen Marie Moning

In complete desperation to have someone to care about me, a place to stay without feeling burden, a warm home and undeniable protection. I let myself fall in love with a monster... a man who is dangerous and in any other situation I wouldn't want to be with.

What was I thinking?

I take a deep breath in and out and pick up my make-up brush that I dropped and continue shoveling things in the bag. I put it in the duffel bag and I zip it up.

I look up at Chloe who's on the bed just watching me go insane and crazy with absolutely no context behind it.

"Come on, you need to pack as well," I urge Chloe, grabbing a pink suitcase for her to use, "We'll be leaving first thing tomorrow."

"Brielle, calm down, it's not that serious," Chloe says, trying to soothe down my anxious body.

"It's definitely serious!" I shout. I really need to calm down, this isn't good for my body in the slightest.

"Bri, if you're afraid of Lorenzo so much we can just go to the police and file a restraining order against him."

I give her a look of sympathy. I forgot she doesn't know at all.

I shake my head gently and then sit down next to her on the bed.

"I need to tell you the truth," I say, "You're going to be frightened and a bit overwhelmed but this is urgent."

It's silent between us as I let her process the warning and then I take a deep breath in and out before I begin.

"Lorenzo is a part of a mafia and-"

Chloe bursts out laughing, assuming that I was joking but when she sees my face, her laughter dies down and is quickly replaced with a frightened look.

"The police aren't going to work," I tell her, "He's outsmarted the police and has so many connections and so he found me again. I-"

"Which mafia?" Chloe asks.

"The Sovas."

Chloe's eyes widen even more upon the group name. They're in the news a lot.

"The Sovas?" she repeats again and I nod in agreement, "They've murdered for centuries and terrorized the United States, Russia, and Europe for decades."

"How did you fall in love with someone like that?"

"I'm sorry," I apologize, "but he protected me... for so long."

"I know but-"

"No you don't, Chloe," I continue, "He's protected me for years. If it wasn't for him and his obsession with me. There is such a high chance I would've been dead or worse. I almost got sold in human trafficking."

"I'm sorry."

Chloe isn't mad at me but disappointment is heavy on her voice.

"So we need to leave now. My safety is at risk," I explain to her, getting up and wiping any remaining tears from my face.

Chloe listens to me and begins packing as well.

"What are we going to do?" she asks. I shrug as I pull out the duffel bag from under her bed containing the majority of our money.

"I need to contact a travel agency for an immediate booking for a flight so we can leave early tomorrow morning or tomorrow afternoon at the latest," I explain, "Just the earliest flight out of the country in an English speaking area."