Chapter 118: Return to Sender 6/7

"He's...." Jake took a moment to steady himself as he replied to Jungkook's question, "...going back to Seoul" 

"He's what? Is he alright?" Jungkook asked, a concerned and surprised expression on his face. 

Jake was still shaken, it had all happened so quickly and he hadn't fought it. It was like he blinked and one moment Sunghoon was there and the next he was gone. 

His own lack of a response provoked a reading of the situation by Jungkook. He could clearly tell by the demeanour of Jake and the ambience of the room of what had happened. Upon having this understanding Jungkook gave a  more physical reaction which was to  open Jimin's front door again and yell at Jake. "Go get him?"

Jake looked at the door and shook his head. "No."

"What? Why the hell not?" Jungkook seemed both frustrated and surprised by Jake refusal.  

"I..."

"Jake?" Jungkook took a step towards him but Jake kept his eyes on the still-open door. "Jake?" Jungkook he said more slowly but upon not receiving a response, turned to Jungwon and Jimin. "What happened?" 

Jungwon turned his eyes on Jimin as if to answer. 

It was the first moment since they'd met with Jimin that the man seemed unsure of himself. There was fire like quality in Jungkook's voice and even his old friend didn't want to be on the receiving end of it if he could help it.

"Jimin?" Jungkook pressed, sensing his friend's nerves and hesitation. 

Jimin visibly relaxed his shoulders, then took a sip of tea before replying. Whilst doing this he averted his eyes from Jungkook. "They broke up Kook. They're teenagers it happens."

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?" 

"I said they broke up" 

"NO, I HEARD THAT. WHAT DID YOU SAY TO PROVOKE IT?" Jungkook bellowed across the room, taking another, more aggressive step towards Jimin.

"Are you deaf or even blind Kook?" Jimin put down his cup. "Or are simply incapable of understanding the emotions, feelings and doubts Jake as shown in his short time here?"

"Of course course I heard them... but I also heard the way you asked probing and leading questions"

"I..."

"I brought us here for the help Jimin. The tough love I know you are so capable of dishing out but they've being here for no time and you've just sat there and cut a knife through them"

"I let him voice himself. It wasn't fair on either of them to just gloss over the obvious shortcomings of their situation with cliches of 'it'll be alright' because it won't. Love, relationships they are not simple or straightforward, definitely not when you bring into the mix a lack of confidence over sexuality." He paused before getting a glint in his eye, "I presume, you are still sure about yourself?"

It was Jungkook's turn to be reduced to a silence. 

Jake, still staring longingly at the empty door, took two breaths. He still had time to run and get Sunghoon. The nearest bus stop didn't seem nearby and he doubted Hoon would be running. Though for all he wanted to make things better and patch them up he forced himself to breath and third time and turn to look at Jungkook. "It's the right  thing for Hoon I think." Jake stood up gently. "I care about him, more then I care about myself or anyone even but..." Jake sighed, "I'm tired of hurting him. It's not fair and isn't me. I can't force myself to be that selfish no matter how much it pains me."

Jungkook paused, as if processing the situation before asking, "How did you do it?" His expression had softened to acceptance. Resignation was a new look for him, not one Jake had seen him wear before.