Chapter 70: Crying on the Dance floor 2/3

Sunghoon walked slowly down that the stairs on Monday morning. He had been waiting outside Jungkook's door for fifteen minutes in the quiet hope that Jake might have returned in the night. 

Eventually he had to give up and go to school alone for the first time that year. He was exhausted, mentally and physically. After returning from the metro station, Sunghoon had put on a coat and gone to the roof. 

He had spent the evening watching the lights of the planes in the night sky, knowing that one of them contained Jake. He had sat up there, alone, for three hours before receiving a worried phone call from his parents, asking where he was.

He hadn't told them what happened, he didn't have the stomach to. Not that he had the gumption left to do anything for that matter. 

In the seclusion of his own room was where the crying had begun. Not the tears one occasionally weeps at an outburst of emotion - the downpour that erupts when one's reason for living is taken from them. He didn't know what had eventually drifted him to sleep. Exhaustion perhaps? Whatever the cause of the sleep, he had managed precious little of it. 

Waking up, he'd found his eyes still stung from the residue of the the tears that hadn't dripped onto his pillow. 

Leaving the apartment building he walked in quiet contemplation. The year before he would have walked with his headphones in his ears, enjoying music to get him ready for the school day, but today he preferred to be in silence.

 In an attempt to rebuild his composure for school Sunghoon tried to get himself to think of happy thoughts but unfortunately for him, those happy thoughts all contained Jake. 

So contained was Sunghoon in his mind that when Jay leaped from his bush he clattered straight into his friend. "Urgh - what the hell?" Sunghoon bellowed in anger at being disturbed. 

"Wha? Chill dude I..." Jay didn't have time to protest Sunghoon's tone.

"Don't tell me to chill" Sunghoon said and with both hands pushed Jay back into the bush. 

"Sunghoon? Argh, why are you angry?" Jay asked as he struggled up after the outburst of violence from his friend.

"Why are you a prick?" Sunghoon said with venom on his tongue before he continued walking to school.

"Wait, where's Jaeyun?" Jay asked from the bush that was now behind Sunghoon. 

"No idea!" Sunghoon said curtly, not looking back to see if Jay was alright.

It was going to be a long week. At least he had something to be grateful for - As it was the last week of term it ended on Wednesday.

Jay eventually walked after him on their way to school, he didn't ask any further questions or say anything more. It was apparent to him Sunghoon wasn't in the mood for talking. Jay knew Sunghoon well enough not to ask stupid questions like "Are you okay?" or "is there anything I can do?"

Sunghoon had envisaged spending the day in silence but he was tasked with answering his first teacher's question "Where is Jaeyun?" all Sunghoon could muster was "He's ill, I think." 

Speaking from the back corner of the class Sunghoon received the glances from his peers who had turned to hear him speak. He saw Yun with the empty seat next to her, she looked at him speculatively. 

When they were leaving to go to lunch Yun waited for him. "What's wrong with Jaeyun Sunghoon? Is he coming to the cast party tomorrow?" 

"Damn, that's tomorrow?" Sunghoon responded, his voice was rough like gravel, "I don't think he is, no and I really don't know about him okay." Sunghoon moved to get away.