Chapter 38: Start Thinking with Your Head and Not Your... 5/7

Getting ready for a high school party was not a tall order Sunghoon discovered. Jake and him went to purchase a list of items requested by Heeseung: ice, additional cups and condoms. Both Jake and he had laughed at the final request and had refused, none of them having the confidence that such contraceptives would be required tonight.

"Oh we should buy some gum too?" Jake suggested as they approached the checkout.

"Why?" Sunghoon asked

"So that our breath smells nice, ya know for kissing"

"Are you planning on kissing someone?" Sunghoon asked, his heart dropped a little as Jake singled his intention to 'get with' someone who in all likelihood wasn't him.

"Who knows? But I want to be prepared. Don't you want to be?"

Sunghoon looked straight at his friend, confused as he thought by now Jake knew his desires. Sunghoon shrugged at the question, "I dunno, what sort of taste do you like?"

Jake laughed a little at this answer. "Ever the optimist aren't we Hoonie?"

"Well?" Sunghoon continued trying to show a brave face.

Fortunately Sunghoon's confidence was rewarded with an answer, "Peppermint".

____________

Jake didn't consider that he might be playing Sunghoon along. At this point Jake felt at any moment he might receive an epiphany and suddenly all of his feelings would make sense. Alas, heading into Heeseung's grandparent's house, that desperately demanded realisation was yet to materialise.

Heeseung greeted them on their arrival."Great, you guys made it. Did you get the ice? The cups?" 

"Yup - here you go" Jake said, as he passed the host a plastic bag containing the items.

"Hey?" Heeseung's voice took on a hushed tone as he inspected the bag's contents, "where are the condoms"

"We didn't get any - you need to learn to start thinking with you head and not your dick" Sunghoon said, stepping past Heeseung. "Woah, your grandparent's house is nice, how big is it?"

Heeseung's grandparents house was a late 20th century detached construction spread over two floors. "5 bedrooms" Heeseung answered.

"5? Who they hell has four children?" Sunghoon asked.

"Maybe life wasn't always so hideously expensive" Suggested Jake.

"Hard to imagine" Sunghoon said with a sad tone, probably thinking of the cramped apartment he lived in.

The party has already begun when they had arrived, twenty guests were already present so Jake and Sunghoon were able to avoid the awkward moments sitting around waiting for people to arrive. Jay had set up a karaoke stand although so far, only he had used it. The guests preferring Heeseung loud music with its heavy bass that vibrated throughout the property to embarrassing themselves in front of their peers.

"He lives!" Jake heard as he walked into a reception room. Minki greeted him with a bottle of beer in his hand. With his free hand he went to touch the bruise on the side of Jake's head.

"It would seem that way" Jake answered.

"Man those guys were total..."

"Jaeyun!" A girl's voice interrupted Minki. Aicha the host of the last party came up to him, wrapping her arms around him in a deliberately tight embrace.