97 - Eys Full of Sadness

If to the right flank of the mountain on which Asgard stood were the magma caves and the beautiful valley of mansions of those who once owned many possessions, the left flank of the ascent guarded a ruined temple and abandoned to the luck of the snow. Collapsed columns, collapsed ceilings, but an old stone floor still kept the beautiful mosaics that recounted the ancient history of the divine or mountain entities that frequented and were worshiped there.

An abandoned temple, as the hunger and misery of the people of Asgard kept him away from the most distant requests to the Gods who, at that point, seemed to have abandoned them to their fate. But if the ruined temple was sometimes inhabited only by the wild beasts of the mountains, where only the hiss of the wind carrying the snow could be heard, on that fateful afternoon, its ancient columns echoed the brightest violin sound that could be heard all around Europe.

A deep, burning wail played lightly and calmly in a low tempo, though the instrument wailed brightly and sharply. It was a requiem capable of suspending even the flight of birds, unable to fly, seized by deep sadness. Mime was the violinist of Asgard, a young man with a tragic history in his past who was said to have taken revenge on his father in the lower town, killing him in cold blood. An isolated parricide, but also much respected and feared; even before becoming God Warrior under Hilda's forgiveness, Mime was already known as one of the great warriors of the region.

It was just him and this sad song that Andromeda Shun found. His Chains, always so sensitive to the threats around him, didn't even notice the presence of anyone in that ruin, although Shun could already see him wearing the wonderful armor, of crimson and shiny metals, which was his Divine Robe. But the Chains seemed as enchanted as the birds that saddened in the trees; the music, Shun felt deeply, was indeed beautiful and charming, though terribly sad. It was the same violinist who had escorted him peacefully to Valhalla Palace, where he had been taken prisoner early in the morning.

"I'm glad you liked my music, Andromeda." said Mime's gravelly common-tongue voice, as if reading the boy's thoughts.

He sat on a stone counter, leaning against a column, eyes closed as the violin's bow arm strode solemnly over the instrument's bristles, producing the most wonderful northern trill.

"We meet again." the boy pointed out before introducing himself. "I am Andromeda Shun. Who are you, after all?"

"The star Eta, Benetnasch Mime." said the boy, without opening his eyes or letting go of his violin. "And this is a Requiem made for you."

Shun got on his guard and took a better look at his opponent, who, just like before, had a peaceful face, a calm and very serious voice.

"Have you come to beg for mercy again?" he asked, remembering their first meeting in the downtown square. "You don't like to fight, do you? But I will give you a good advice: your soft heart will irrevocably cause your death."

"I appreciate the advice, Mime, but my mission here is to seal Poseidon in his Relic of the Sea." replied Shun decisively. "You believed me before and walked me to Valhalla; I ask you to help me again."

Mime finally stopped the bow and looked at Shun for the first time, as if measuring him from head to toe.

"I did nothing of the sorts. I took you to prison, Andromeda." remembered Mime. "I am a God Warrior who serves Polaris Hilda. And to her alone I owe my loyalty."

"Listen, Benetnasch Mime." Shun began. "All we want is to seal the Sea Relic so that Poseidon can go back to sleep in the Ocean. Nothing more than that."

"There is no truth in your words."

"You have to believe me, Mime! You also don't look like someone who likes to fight for nothing, there's no reason for us to fight here."