61 - Sweet Scent of Death

Seiya, Shun and Shiryu followed the stairs of the Twelve Temples, the night upon them; at the distance, in the Fire Clock, they saw how the flames of Aquarius and Pisces were still burning brightly. Renewed for having gained precious hours thanks to Aioria's help and Hyoga's sacrifice.

"What is that smell?" Shiryu asked her friends.

And then Seiya finally noticed that as they climbed, more and more roses appeared on the stairs.

"They are roses, Shiryu." said the friend.

They were immediately reminded of that young and beautiful figure from the Sad Night, a Gold Saint who used Roses against his enemies. For that made Shun be sure of another detail that now seemed distant, but in fact it had only been a few days since he had known.

"Seiya, Shiryu, wait." he asked.

"What is it, Shun?"

"I need to ask you something." he began. "I want you to go straight to the Temple of the Camerlengo. The Pisces Saint is the one responsible for the attack on Andromeda Island and I want to have the chance to fight for my Master."

"The island that you went on to train, Shun?" asked Shiryu.

"Yes. June told me in Jamir that a single Gold Saint was able to defeat my Master in battle as well as slay nearly every student on the island."

"How do you know it was him, Shun?" Seiya asked.

"The roses. He left behind a single Red Rose."

Seiya saw around him dozens and dozens of red, white and black roses.

"We took an oath, didn't we?" Shun continued. "At least one of us needs to get to the Camerlengo Temple to save Athena."

"Are you sure about this, Shun?" asked Shiryu.

"Yes," he confirmed. "But before you go, I'd like to tell you something that I've been thinking about since we left the House of Gemini."

Shun took from inside his armor a kind of scapular with broken ecclesiastical beads stuck to a gold chain. He gave it to Seiya to hold in his hands.

"What is this, Shun?"

"It's a rosary. It came back with the Nebula Chain when I defeated the Gemini Saint."

"A rosary?" asked Shiryu, curious.

"Friends, if the Pisces Saint is the one who can control Roses as we saw in the Sad Night, I suspect that the true Gemini Saint is the one who is impersonating the Camerlengo, the servant of the Pontiff of Athena."

"The Gemini Saint?"

"But Shun, the Gemini Saint was just an illusion in the third temple, he didn't really exist."

"I can't explain it, Shiryu, but this rosary must undoubtedly belong to the order of the Pontiff of Athena. If not the Camerlengo, someone very close to him can even control a Gold Cloth like Gemini."

"Gemini." Seiya thought alone, remembering that the Saint was also in the fateful night.

"In that case, we must be careful not to let ourselves be deceived by possible illusions in the Temple, Seiya." Shiryu warned, reminding his friend what had happened in the third temple.

"OK." Seiya thanked.

"I will be with you soon." Shun promised.

And together they finally followed the stairs to the twelfth temple, the House of Pisces.