64 - Unmasked

In the Temple of the Stars, the Camerlengo Arles prepares the recently deceased body of his brother Zion in the chamber at the back of the temple. With a thurible lit, he swings the censer to coat his brother's frail body with a layer of thick, bluish smoke; the body of Supreme Pontiff Zion is lying on a wide stone bench in the small chamber. At that time, the bookshelves were still full of books of the most varied sizes and lengths; carrying knowledge of the oldest civilizations around the world.

Arles was smoothing the hem of his brother's gold-trimmed white cassock, the ecclesiastical beads around his neck, and his long gray hair with two strands that fell to his chest. A face very wrinkled with age, for that man lived for more than two hundred years defying the vitality of an ordinary man. But he was no ordinary man. Survivor of the last Holy War, Zion was one of the only ones to emerge alive from a terrible battle and, for that reason, he ruled for all that time the Sanctuary of Athena.

Until time finally took his life.

His brother, the Camerlengo Arles, would be tasked with preparing his body for his funeral and burial. As well as wearing the Supreme Pontiff's golden helmet temporarily until Zion's chosen successor finally ascended a new Pontiff, which was to be in a few days.

He left the thurible on the floor, which still burned its aromatic herbs, and walked to the bookcase full of books in front of him. In a space between tomes, he took a goblet he had prepared, took a deep breath, closed his eyes and drank the liquid completely, returning the cup to the shelf.

He knelt before that holy figure.

"Rest in peace, my brother."

He got up and left the small room to face his own fate.

He came out of the Temple and found a Gold Saint waiting for him, the Gemini Cloth in his body and the double-faced helmet in his hands, his kind, calm face kneeling, waiting for him.

"This is a place destined only for the Grand Master Supreme Pontiff and his Camerlengo." said Arles' voice, wearing his gold helmet but his black cassock. "What are you doing here, Gemini?"

The man before him lifted him up, eyes calm, and spoke in his deep voice.

"Everyone in the Sanctuary admire me and adore me as if I were a god. I met all the requirements and have kept the Seal of the Seas for years on end. Why was I not chosen as his successor?"

The Camerlengo took a deep breath as he replied.

"My holy brother Zion chose Aioros because he has the kindness, intelligence and courage needed to be the next Pontiff of the Sanctuary."

"I don't think I'm inferior to Aioros in any of these respects." replied him. "Tell me Camerlengo Master Arles, you were the closest person to Pope Zion, why was I not chosen?"

The Camerlengo Arles knew exactly why, as he was, after all, the confidant and right-hand man of his brother Pope Zion. And for days and nights they conflated about the important choice he would have to make.

"My brother Zion felt a great indecision and the most terrible doubts in your cosmos, Saga. Feelings that are not allowed to a Supreme Pontiff of Athena." said the Camerlengo's calmer voice. "He was well aware of the respect you inspire in the Sanctuary and how dedicated you are to your mission on the Sea. On my part, whenever I look you in the eye, I see that there is a poison deep in your body that even I don't know what it is."

The words hung between them like smoke from the thurible that burned inside the Temple of the Stars. Like a dying star, the Gemini Saint fist lunged forward and entered the chest of Camerlengo Master Arles, who immediately lost his breath. As close as he was, the last things he saw were Saga's white hair and his eyes reddened with madness.