26 - Athena

Protect Athena.

Athena.

The cold lights of a sterile ceiling. A white ceiling. The white walls. No windows. The white floor. His white clothes. He got up from the gurney, removed the monitors glued to his body, and found his shabby, dirty clothes in a corner on a chair.

A white curtain dragged along the rail and Shun appeared to help Seiya.

Again the medical care so frequent in Seiya's life. He saw his friend Shun covered with bandages all over his body, as he had not yet seriously treated the burns from his battle in the mountain woods when he had to fight again.

There was, however, a wound on Seiya's chest that no medicine could heal.

His Master deeply ashamed of him.

He would do anything to make her proud of him again.

And to do that, perhaps the answer was thrown at him when Marin gave him her back, leaving without meeting his eyes: to protect Athena.

"Let's go." called Shun.
"Where are we going, Shun?"
"Anywhere but this room." he said.

Outside of the room, sitting on a bench in the hallway, was Shiryu. She got up when she saw the two friends walking out of the door.

"They say you're all right now." she said.

Shun and Seiya sat beside her.

They were in a short, empty hallway; many other doors closed to many other hospital rooms.

"Saori is waiting for us in the common room." Shiryu said.

Dismayed, Seiya followed his friends down the hall, down stairs to a place without even a window. An oppressive and hidden environment. He felt like a rat running away in the sewer; so used to the freedom of the land, sleeping in the starlight, running in the sun, that place caused him enormous discomfort. And he noticed the same in his two friends.

They entered through a double door in what was clearly a makeshift room with some sofas, rugs and a table. The girls were all there and stood up when they joined the common room.

"Are you feeling better?" asked Saori.
"Yes," Shun replied; Seiya just nodded and let himself sink into the first sofa he found.

Seiya's dismay invaded the Hall and everyone sulked. Seiya was that kind of boy, his bravery and his smile infected everyone around him. But his sadness was no different. Precisely because he was always so vibrant, seeing him slumped on the couch looking lost like that was disconcerting.

"That's it?" asked Shiryu, who out of everyone there was the worst one to comfort someone. "Are you going to give up?"

Seiya looked at his friend, confused.

"Shun told us you've won over a Silver Saint!" she said.
"He was not using his Silver Cloth." justified Seiya.
"Neither were you!" said Xiaoling, louder.
"Doesn't matter." Seiya said. "None of this matters."

He got up and walked out of the common room, leaving everyone behind to deal with that ill temper of his.