78 - The Apple of Eden

The afternoon on the Death Queen Island was scorching hot; one pondering that it could be due to the sul would be wrong, because in fact the ground itself was warm and sometimes incandescent thanks to the active lava of a volcano that rises on the island's highest mountain. The sun was often hidden behind clouds of smoke that the volcano's mouth blew into the sky.

Beneath the soot and leaning against a dunghill of shattered ancient armors, a child is excited with a doll in her hand; a doll made from the scraps of metal from that place, roughly in the figure of a girl. Another equally clumsy doll was lying on the floor.

"And that's what you get for challenging the most powerful one of this place. That's right, I'm Lunara, the Queen of the Death Queen Island. Blergh!" she spoke, as if she were doubling the voice of the doll in her hands.

And then she shocked the two metal dolls, making a thousand noises with her mouth simulating the most divine of battles with the dolls made of broken pieces of the dark metal of that rubble.

"What do you think about creating some of these for real?" said a voice, interrupting her play.

When the girl looked up, she saw on top of a pile of metallic rubble the figure of another girl wearing crude clothes like hers. But then it was someone she already knew, for she was the most famous warrior in the region.

"Oh, you're Ikki, right?" said little Lunara. "I want you to know that you got lucky. If you haven't got that Armor, I'm sure I'd get it in a few years, you would see!"

"Lucky for you I made it there first." Ikki said, going down to Lunara. "So tell me little girl, do you think you can create armor like the ones you made for your dolls, but instead of doing for play, doing it for me, for my size, like the Phoenix Cloth?"

"Oh, of course I can, but I'm no Black Saint. You should go talk to them."

"They've already agreed to join me. But now I need them to look like our enemies."

"Like a mod?" Lunara asked, finally interested.

"An improvement."

Ikki knew that she had won the girl there, as she was very famous in the region for not leaving that metallic dump, which was where the leftovers of the Clothes crudely created by the Black Saints of the Death Queen Island went. Lunara was one of the last generation of orphans sent by the Graad Foundation around the world, before the old Kido's death; and, perhaps luckily, Ikki had recently gained the Phoenix Cloth, saving her from a terrible training.

"You said the Black Saint accepted." added little Lunara. "Are they nice?"

The question disconcerted Ikki, who didn't even think for a second if they were nice boys and girls to be together. She didn't quite know how to respond, and her answer was perhaps more fraught with rancor than truth.

"They're orphans like us."

Lunara was thoughtful and went back to looking at her little metal figures.

"Am I going to be part of a group, then?"

"Of the best group." teased Ikki, with a slight smile on her face.

And that made the little girl's face light up. She was in.

 She was in