76 - The Island of Children

"Captain's log, third day of voyage. En route to the coast of Africa. The crew is doing very well. And as for the young Ensigns Seiya and Lunara, both have been playing their roles perfectly, as well as being able to memorize the entire Maritime dialect. What we couldn't teach them, however, was that life on open seas can be tricky. And it's like the saying goes: smooth seas don't make good sailors. Medical officer June has had a lot of work with them."

Lunara was moaning from dizziness and stomach pain, as was Seiya, who wasn't much better either at the ship's infirmary. The two of them were sickened by the constant, unshakable sway of the ocean; they were dehydrated and very weak that second night at sea.

In addition to the four hand-picked by Captain Kaire to perform those important roles and be at his side on the quarterdeck and on the bridge, the Galleon of Athena also had half a dozen Rodorio sailors who were absolutely proud to serve in a such a prestigious ship and on such an important mission.

At the Captain's Cabin, however, an emergency meeting was called by him in which only the first-officer Geist and the medical-officer June reported. The three of them were dressed in their handsome dark overcoats, though Captain Kaire's was navy blue with gold details, while Geist's had red and June's light blue details.

"How are the two ensigns, Chameleon?"
"Still bad, as expected." she began, a little annoyed. "They spent the whole night with a high fever, but at least this morning they are showing some signs of improvement."
"You look fine." Geist argued, looking at her.
"I did my training on an island in the Indian Ocean and it was not rare for our Master to take us out to the sea for specific training. I got used to it."
"I need my navigator and my helmsman, Doctor." said the captain.
"I'm doing everything I can. They need to replace what they put out, but in the condition they are in, they can't eat anything." she retorted. "I'd like to reiterate my concern at having chosen those two for a mission like this. They have no experience at all on navigation."

Geist immediately looked at her, a little surprised by her courage.

"You already made your concern very clear when we left port. What I need now is for them to be able to perform their duties."
"That's a mistake!"
"Chameleon, this is the Captain you're addressing."
"No problem, first-mate." said Captain Kaire, and turned to June with resolute eyes. "Have you put out what you wanted to say yet?"
"I haven't even started."

"Then finish it, for we have seven seas to conquer. Seven. Seas." he repeated, before she could say anything else. "Return to the infirmary and update me on their condition within the hour. Geist, take the post in the crow's nest and come down with the necessary observations. We'll work together at the helm. Dismissed."

The end of that tense meeting, however, was interrupted by the voice of one of the sailors at the top of his lungs outside.

"Land ahoy!" announced the sailor.

The three got up immediately and went out on deck; Geist leaned over the ship's rail and watched a small island on the horizon, in the middle of the Aegean Sea and far from any shore. Kaire and June joined her on the ledge.

"This island is not on the Nautical Chart." pondered Geist.
"Recommendations?" asked Kaire.
"I suggest leaving it where it is and keep on course to the Canal."
"Agreed, first-mate." said Captain Kaire, but before giving the order to the rest of the sailors, June the Chameleon stood before him again.
"If we're really going to continue this journey, we need to replenish our stocks, because those two need help and we haven't even reached the first Ocean. This island could be a good opportunity for that."

Meko looked from June to Geist beside her and she didn't seem to object.

"Very well." he replied very seriously and turned to Geist. "Order the anchor to be cast overboard and the auxiliary boat to be ready." and then looked at June. "Ten minutes and we'll be off. Geist, you have the comm."
"Yes, sir.' she agreed, setting out among the sailors to see that all was done.