82 - The Naked Time

The Galleon of Athena, after sealing the third Relic of the Sea, was now heading for the South Pacific and Captain Meko Kaire was already a little anxious to return home. That had come as a huge surprise when he'd first met Nicol a few weeks ago, along with his first mate, when he'd seen the island on which he himself had been born listed among the Seven Civilizations.

"That can't be right." he protested when he saw the list of the seven places they would have to visit.

"Is there a problem, Captain Kaire?" Nicol asked, looking for anything out of place on his carefully made list.

"This island in the Polynesia is in the archipelago where I was born and raised." said Kaire. "If there were any Poseidon Relics there, I would know about it."

"The Gemini Saint's notes are quite accurate."

"I know every inch and every grain of sand on these islands." pondered Kaire.

"'There are more things in heaven and Earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy', Captain."

Both Nicol and Kaire looked at Geist, still very serious.

"Maybe there are secrets that not even you can imagine."

Kaire looked at that list a little confused, and weeks later he looked again, but this time with a certain nostalgia and lightness in his chest. However, just before he went to bed, when the lantern-lit list left his thoughts, he heard far away a beautiful, melodious song.

During that change of shifts, the Galleon crossed through an incredible fog in the middle of the ocean, a very rare phenomenon that the rising night practically hid from the crew. Seiya had left the quarterdeck for the main deck, heading for the lower galleries, when he heard the same curious and beautiful melody, of delicate vibratos in chromatic melismas. Geist was already in the lower galleries coordinating the shift change when she and many of the sailors stopped what they were doing to better pay attention to that corner of the seas. In her sickbay, June also found the song curious and wondered if it was one of the sailors pretending to be a singer.

Lunara was already lying on her small mattress on the floor, when a soft, whispery voice whispered in her ear, as it did every night so she could sleep. The little girl smuggled her music player along with her overcoat, and every night she slept to a light beat, spaced and quiet.

But then she was hearing the wrong tune.

"Captain's log, this is Captain Lunara speaking

"Captain's log, this is Captain Lunara speaking. Good morning, sailors. Oh, I forgot the day. Caham. Captain's log, day seventeen of voyage, Captain Lunara speaking. Good morning, sailors. This is my logbook and I'm Captain Lunara, the best captain of the seven seas. Today I'm going to unfurl the sails and soon we'll be arriving at Captain Kaire's home. I mean, I'm the Captain. Captain Kaire can be the co-captain. Or my first mate. Oh, but then Geist won't like it. He better be the co-captain. Anyway, my friends, we're coming to the co-captain's home. Is everyone there as big as he is? We'll find out in the next captain's log. Captain Lunara out. Over and out."