85 - At The Heart of Tangaroa

In the darkness of Tangaroa, a door opened and out of it emerged a beautiful face, followed by a young warrior with dark hair, but burned by the Pacific sun. It was the young Meko Kaire and his beloved Mia Kahurangi, who had entered the domain of monsters to seek something very precious: the Iris Shell, an ancient heritage left to the sailors of Wahitapu, the island where they lived.

It was said in the stories that the Iris Shell was used by Tāne when she herself gave rise to the various islands of Polynesia, making all the trees and flowers that inhabit the earth sprout from her own being. The old Te-Maia said that the shell was then given to Wahitapu navigators so that they would never forget that gift. But that gift was stolen by Ikatere many, many years ago, and all Mia Kahurangi would want to do is take it back.

She was a powerful, strong woman with dark hair and hard eyes, tattoos all over her arms and firm legs. When she opened the door to pitch black, at first they saw nothing, but deep in the grotto a glow revealed itself in the darkness.

"There." she said. "That must be the shell."

"Come." Meko said behind her.

But then they were attacked in the darkness, Mia's body hurled against the rocks; Meko calling out her name and brandishing the torch to find the creature that attacked them in the darkness, when he noticed only the outline of tentacles hiding in the shadows.

"Mia!" he shouted again, approaching her.

"Don't come, Meko!"

But he went and took the brunette in his arms to help her up, when his torch lit a single tentacle that attacked him, he dodged and Mia let go of him, rolling to the side. The second attack ripped out Meko's left eye, he bled and fell to the ground. Mia knelt before him to help him, but was then hit by something behind her.

"Mia, no! Mia!" he shouted.

In front of him, the torch lit a blade of water that had passed through Mia's body and then retreated, letting his lover's blood fall to his feet. She fell into his arms and mouthed her last words, which were forever echoing in his ears.

Meko Kaire there wept, and in his despair he still heard the dark voice of someone who cursed him.

"Wrong door."

Seiya, Geist and June arrived at an absurd place in that depth

Seiya, Geist and June arrived at an absurd place in that depth. A maze of doors. Of all styles, types and ages. The creator of that labyrinth may have looted all the boats that one day sank in the region, stealing their decks, their cabins and whatever else was at hand to create that dismal and frightening environment.

Some doors even seemed to give access to deep halls behind damp walls, while others lay on the floor like trapdoors, but there were also gates that seemed to lead nowhere, or even doors that stood upright with nothing around them, so that seemed completely useless.

"Watch out for the Labyrinth of Portals." Geist remembered, remembering Captain Meko's voice.

"What do we do?" Seiya asked himself, putting his hand on a doorknob. "We don't have time to open all these doors."