Chapter 68: Our Love Was Always True

"Seren." I try again. "Look at me." Her shoulders shake and I think she's beginning to cry, but I hear a chuckle come out instead. Was she laughing at me? How could she think any of this was funny?

"So you can lie to my face some more? No thanks."

I watch a blood stained tear drip down her cheeks. She couldn't be this prideful right now. There was too much at stake for her to do this.

"Seren I-"

"Stop saying my name!" she shouts snapping her head up, her rage-filled eyes finally looking up at me. "What could you possibly tell me that could fix this?"

My insides feel like they're withering away. Staring into those blue eyes tainted by a hate for me, blood vessels popped in both so they're swimming in a sea of red, I can't take it. A part of me wants to run over to her and wrap my entire body around her. The temptation of constricting every inch of me, skin to skin around her wounded frame, makes me crazy.

She's never looked at me like this. Like she can't stand the sight of me. As if she would rather be anywhere in the galaxy that I couldn't touch. Even her tears have lessened. The only wetness that continues to pour out of her is the blood leaking from her wounds. The same wounds she got because of me.

"Choose him."

There it was. The hate was not only seeping out of her eyes, but out of her mouth now. She was done with everything I put her through. She was becoming done with me. Even with her life being risked by the threat Demien claimed, she still wanted nothing from me. It wasn't because of the bond she shared with Estella. It wasn't because the plan had no doubt failed. It was because I confessed something that was a betrayal to the both of us.

I'd spit in the face of our love. I let someone who just came into my life walk all over Seren and I's relationship. That confession I made to Demien, the confession that I accidentally made straight to Scorpius without looking at him, tore Seren beyond repair. Her connection to Estella was physical, I know that now. My connection with Scorpius was emotional. And now Seren knew that too.

"You don't mean that." I say.

"I do. I mean it with everything inside me. Choose him. Let me die and spend your lifetime in his arms. The same arms you said never touched you like that." She bites her lip so hard that when she lets go, her teeth marks sit underneath her skin. They stand in a row, red and angry just like her.

"I'd never let anyone hurt you."

She scoffs. "Besides you? No one could ever hurt me as much as you have."

Her stare falls to Scorpius and then she eyes Demien standing behind me. "Her choice has been made, so just kill me already."

"No!" Estella and I scream.

"Lynx, you lied to me. Back when I saw you for the first time, you lied. I told you everything that happened with Estella because I trusted you."

"You said the bond was too strong." I say.

"The bond? Are you serious? I love you. I said we were out of our depth when it came to this soul tie thing, but that didn't stop me from loving you. I searched for you from the moment my feet touched these flower fields. I swam until my tail burned and I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. That bond made me come back to make sure Estella was okay, but I couldn't sleep knowing you were still out there somewhere."

My chest caves listening to her, hearing the hatred for me mingling with her love. I lean forward to crawl to her but she moves away from me. It stings worse than I thought it would.

"I'm not telling you this so you can have it easy and choose me. I just wanted you to know that I never gave up. When we left each other that day in the treehouse, I had hope for the first time since you left home. I told Estella I found you and she never once made me pick between you and her. She knew where my heart was, where it's always been. I left that day knowing I got you back and we'd make it work somehow."