Chapter 27: The Guilt of It All

I'm panting. Even though I'm not the one being slammed into or punched, my breathing won't slow. My eyes are fixed across from me where Scorpius has his knee digging into Ogmellos' back. The fire behind Scorpius' dark eyes frightens me to the point where I'm frozen. Frozen with my back against the wall, literally.

Scorpius presses his knee deeper into Ogmellos' back, causing him to wince. But something looks off with this scene playing out in front of me. I can't help noticing the size difference between the two of them.

When I had first seen them both in the same room it was obvious Ogmellos had more size compared to Scorpius. Even his height was noticeably taller. Now, as I stare at them both, its hard not to notice how Scorpius is significantly smaller. Even with him on top of Ogmellos right now, Ogmellos' forearms are almost the same width as Scorpius' thighs.

What doesn't sit right with me is how could Scorpius have the upper hand? Sure Ogmellos was vulnerable and had gotten caught off guard, but if he was the hunter I heard he was then he should've been able to quickly come back from it.

When I look down at Ogmellos I know my suspicions are right. Our eyes meet only for a split second, but I don't need long to see how much he's holding back. And he doesn't need time to tell me with his eyes what we both know. What I had said to him before when he was holding me. He didn't want to hurt anyone. Not then and especially not now.

Scorpius has his hands wrapped tightly around one of Ogmellos' horns. Instantly I think of Caelum. Would Scorpius let himself get so angry to the point where he would do the exact same thing Ogmellos had done to his father? Would he do that to someone he used to think of as part of his family?

Scorpius tugs a little. "I've been waiting for this moment." he practically spits out. Ogmellos doesn't say anything and I watch his shoulders fall. He doesn't fight or protect himself. And even though I don't know much about Pharons, watching the fire underneath Ogmellos' skin fade makes it obvious he isn't going to stop Scorpius from permanently wounding him.

"Stop!" I shout from across the hall. Ogmellos shifts his eyes to me but Scorpius doesn't appear to have even heard me. He drives his knee further in between Ogmellos shoulder blades, the veins in his thighs rippling against his skin. The illumatinated fire inside him doesn't dim in the slightest.

"Please, don't. He isn't fighting you." I try to reason with Scorpius but he isn't listening. Ogmellos smirks even though it looks sad. Like my efforts to help him are for nothing and he's accepted what's to come. I don't, though. I won't let Scorpius do something that he may regret in the future all for a fleeting moment of satisfaction.

Ogmellos closes his eyes as Scorpius threatens with one more tug against his horn. I can't let this go on any longer. I won't let any of them get hurt. I do the only thing I can, the only thing I know will grab Scorpius' attention.

I pick myself up from the floor, both my palms placed against the wall behind me. Taking a deep breath, I take a small step forward.

"Scorpius." I say. It's barely a whisper, but when he flinches I know he's heard me. I watch his grip loosen on the horn he's holding, his rigid body beginning to soften. His name on my tongue works it's way through his entire being, distracting him from the rage he felt only moments ago.

I take another step towards the both of them. "Scorpius, let him go." Another step.

It worries me when his skin doesn't dim down to the pink shade it originally was. Ogmellos is fully back to normal, but the bright fire coming out of Scorpius remains the same. I know the name thing was supposed to make him lust after me, but what if it wasn't strong enough to counter his anger? What if I couldn't help Ogmellos the way I thought I could?