Chapter 41: The Steps Towards The End

As the hours passed I made sure to keep my distance from Scorpius and Caelum. I decided staying in the bedroom would only drive me insane. Especially with the bed and pillows torn to pieces around me. I went into the dining hall to eat, making sure to avoid eye contact with everyone in there. To my luck the place was almost empty.

After eating, I wondered if I should go to the cave and stay there for as long as I could. But I knew that would be the second place I would potentially be found. And I couldn't go back to Ogmellos because the goodbye would only become harder than the first one. Plus I didn't want to see him until I was ready to leave and board the ship.

In the end I decided to roam through the halls until my feet grew tired. I knew the building was large but the endless halls made it feel enormous. Each door I came across was relatively the same which made the walk feel never ending. At one point I thought I was lost but then I realized it didn't matter if I was or wasn't. It was better than just sitting around waiting for Scorpius to come back.

The light from the orbs danced each time they lit, creating the ominous shadows I was used to. I wasn't scared though. It almost felt like I had completely given up on fear itself. The anger that was usually settled in my chest was now numb. The only emotion I could come up with was nonchalance. Or maybe I was feeling boredom. Either way I was suffice with both.

I hear footsteps in front of me, heading the opposite direction I am. In the far hall where the orbs were now illuminated, my eyes drift to the figure approaching. Instantly I know it isn't a Pharon because this person is slim and also quite short. Gold scales glitter with every step making them glow. They almost looked like the sun.

We got closer to each other, our paths almost crossing. They didn't look at me and I felt rude now to be staring so obviously at them. All four of their arms swayed at their side. Their eyes shifted to me and I saw a thin black slit in the middle. Their eyes appeared almost reptilian. Was this a Sidin?

I look away, keeping my eyes forward until we pass each other. When their steps have faded off I chance a quick glance over my shoulder. But they're already too far into the distance to see. Was that what I would expect when I went off to Xoven later? I thought it was funny how my future basically had walked right by me. Almost like a premonition or something like that.

Smiling to myself I continue forward until I come to what seems like my room. The door is still open and the feathers are laid across every inch of the room. I spin around. Had I walked so much that I'm back where I started? It didn't feel like I could've but I must have since I was back here.

With a heavy sigh I turn to start my walk around the building again. To my annoyance I see Scorpius coming down the hall. I'm almost tempted to walk right by him, ignoring him the best I can but I opt out. If I do that it'll just start something I don't want to start and plus, I was done with the games.

I lean against the wall, the opening to the room behind me. I watch his eyes flick back and forth at the destroyed bedroom. He takes in a deep breath, holding it for what seems like an eternity and then lets it out before looking down at me.

"Do I even want to know what happened in here?" he asks me. I just stare back. I wasn't going to waste my breath on something so obvious. We both knew the reason I did this. He takes in my silence and clicks his tongue, like he's deciding something. I don't bite. I let the silence stew.

"Fine." he says, leaning against the same wall my shoulder is resting on. I move to stand straight and he rolls his eyes, standing up again. "The ship will be ready soon. Have you decided which part of Xoven you wanted to be on?"

My fingers tingle with excitement but I keep my face calm. "The blue side." I tell him, my tone flat.

"Hm." is all he says in response. That's fine. I don't need to have a full conversation with him for me to get my point across. He questioned me and I answered. As far as I was concerned this interaction was done.