Chapter 25: Wounds We Share

"So you've never forgiven Ogmellos?" I ask Scorpius.

"I don't know if I can. But it isn't me who needs to forgive him. He needs to learn how to forgive himself. Between the death of my mother and the fight with my father, Ogmellos has really given himself a reason to hate what he sees in the mirror."

As much as I didn't want to, I actually felt bad for Ogmelllos. What he had done was terrible. Not only for Scorpius' parents but for Scorpius himself. He had lost his mother and his best friend. Someone who was like a brother to him.

But Ogmellos had to hold on to that burden. There were so many things stacked against him, it was impossible not to feel a little sympathy for him. A family he would never receive. The family he once had now torn by his own hands. It was too much for all of them.

Looking at Scorpius now, knowing his mother was ripped from his hands for no good reason, I could see how it was possible for Thysus to mate us. The one weakness we both shared.

"I lost my father when I was very young." I tell him. He shifts his body to face me. "When my mother was pregnant with me, my father was killed."

"How?"

"I wish I knew. She never talks about him because it's too painful to remember."

"That doesn't seem very fair to you."

I let out a sad laugh. "Neither does what happened to you."

I don't realize I'm crying until Scorpius brushes his thumb across my cheek. "Hey." he says lifting my chin with his tear stained thumb. "For what it's worth, I think your mother did a fine job raising you."

"You barely know me."

"That's true, but you don't take my shit like most others do around here. That counts for something." The corners of his lips turn up exposing his bright white teeth.

"You're easy to ignore." I tease him, returning his smile.

"Don't wound me now, angelfish."

"Easier said than done." I tell him.

"Why do I get the feeling that you of all others could wound me the most?" he lifts my chin up a bit farther, leaning closer to me.

My heart jumps only for a moment staring at his onyx colored eyes. He tucks his hair behind his ears, tightening his grip on my chin.

"Because my name is wrapped around your finger." My heart jumps again.

His tongue passes over his bottom lip, leaving a distracting wetness on them that I wish I could ignore. Sadly, I play right into his trap and look down at his mouth. He smirks and leans so close to me my ears start to ring with panic.

"It must be more than that." he says.

Was he right? I mean, I didn't like him at all. There was no way in Plut I was going to spend the rest of my life with this guy. So why did this attraction feel so...real? Like every time the gap between us was challenged, my body would react to him in the smallest ways.

Why wasn't I pulling away from his touch right now? Why was I still looking at his lips getting closer to mine? Why wasn't I running out the door of the dining hall ready to pack my bags and ship myself off to Xoven? I shouldn't be this comfortable. And yet...

"What am I supposed to call you if I can't say your name?"

"What would you like to call me?" he asks, his tone shifting lower than before.

"An idiot." I say, trying to focus and get out of whatever is happening between us right now. He chuckles deep in his throat.

"Why do I feel like that's far from the truth?" he inches even closer to me, my chin sitting nicely between his fingers while his breath hits my face. My body tries to react from how close he is but I don't let it. I grip the edge of the seat willing myself to calm down. It's just the magic, I tell myself.