Chapter 32: An Empty Hole Now Filled

"You kind of asked for it if you really think about it, Corai." Ogmellos tells me while kicking his feet in the water. My tail sways next to his leg, dipping in and out of the giant pool.

"I told you my name is Lynx."

"I know, but I just got used to thinking of you as Corai."

I shrug. "I guess that's fine too." I sigh. "I just thought he would want someone to tell him how much of a mistake it was. It's obvious he's beating himself up about it. I was just trying to help."

He puts his hand on my shoulder. "Listen, I know that and he knows that. But you can't force someone to be ready for something they're not ready for. Caelum blames himself everyday over what happened to his mate and, as much as he may accept you, you can't honestly think you're going to come here and change his mind just like that."

"Now I'm the one who's being hard on myself." I say.

"I can't disagree with that." he swirls both feet below him. "It's easier to beat ourselves up rather than taking it out on someone else. Even if they deserve it."

I glance at his face noticing his brows pulled closely together. A deep frown is set there too.

"Ogmellos," I cross my legs and sit facing him. "could you tell me what actually happened?"

His shoulders slouch even more, like he's caving in on himself as his eyes stare at the ripples traveling through the water. Even though it's hard to talk about, I think Ogmellos will be the one to tell me. Mainly because he was there.

"I loved her. I wasn't in love with her, but I did love her. I want to clarify that. She was a second mother to me when my own wasn't around. I had known her almost my entire life up until what happened."

"What was she like?" I ask, trying to be as delicate with the subject as possible. His smile is sad.

"Goddess, she was incredible. She was fierce and loving. And she was strong. I could never forget how strong she was. A Luniod willingly living here? She was something to talk about and trust me everyone did. But she was kind, a giver. When she first got here she took to the land immediately. She was ready to learn how to hunt and help with the water supply shipments, she wanted to do it all.

When Caelum made this cave for her it was like she shined brighter than when she first arrived. The Pharons took to her almost instantly. And when she became pregnant not long after she got here, everyone wanted to tend to her. The female Pharons would make sure she had all the fruit she needed and the males would carry her over here whenever she got thirsty.

When I got older she brought me and Scorpius down here, holding one of us with her arms and the other with her tail. She's the reason we learned how to swim." Ogmellos leans back staring at the ceiling.

"I always thought Caelum was unmindful, making her stay here because he didn't want to leave. Others would whisper about it but no one said anything to her. It was somewhat her choice too, I suppose."

"What was her name?" I ask.

"Atmis." his voice cracks. He's doing his best to hide the pain but his face betrays him, the hurt etched in his expression.

"That's beautiful."

"She was." he replies. "Her eyes were like oceans, deep and infinite yet so calming."

His words pull me back to what Scorpius had said about mine. He had described them as oceans, just like Ogmellos. I wish the ache in my stomach didn't feel so heavy hearing it.

"I don't know why I did it, Corai. You have to believe me."

Touching his shoulder I say, "I do. You don't need to convince me. The love you had for her sounds real and it must've been confusing and painful not having your mate show. Especially thinking, as a Luniod, that she would be as kind and accepting as Atmis."