Chapter 55: Caught Between Two Hearts

Stepping up to the glass window, I place my palm on it while watching a school of fish swim by. Below a few Luniods swim towards the bottom. Instantly, my mind wonders if Seren is one of them. But when Scorpius kisses the back of my neck, the thought disappears and is replaced by his scent.

I crane my neck back and settle into his body, letting the warmth of him consume me. He reaches around and puts the fruit we've been eating in front of my face. I try to take a bite, but he pulls it away before my mouth connects. I like him teasing me like this. It makes us seem so natural. So normal.

I grab the back of his hand and push it back towards my mouth, biting into the soft purple fruit before he can move it away again. He takes a bite right after me, his thumb rubbing the juice from the side of my lips.

"You're such a messy eater." he says, sucking the residue off his finger and taking another bite. Purple liquid bursts from the side of his mouth, dripping down his chin and trailing down the front of his neck. I giggle, licking the sweetness from his throat.

"You should be one to talk."

He shoves the rest of the fruit in his mouth and grabs me, pulling my chin up towards him. I push up on my toes to meet his warm lips, licking his bottom lip before kissing him. He moans in my mouth and if I don't stop this now we both know where we'll end up. I feel a throb start between my thighs remembering everything, but wince at the soreness that soon follows after.

"Ready to go?" Scorpius asks. I nod and head for the bedroom door. I'm glad he agreed to let me take another look at those treehouse's today. And he was right when he said it would be better to check it out with another pair of eyes. Maybe he would catch something I hadn't yet.

We walk out our home and down the stairs until we arrive at the door that leads to the edge. Scorpius turns the knob and peaks his head out before walking through and guiding me behind him. Was it just me or was he getting more protective than he's ever been?

He stands close to me as we make our way to the end and look up at the closed dome. I still don't know how we're supposed to get that thing to open. Looking at Scorpius, I notice him fiddling with the collar the guard had given to him around his neck. His pointer shimmers for a split second and so does the yellow collar.

It surprises me when I see the same bubble the guard had circling her head form around Scorpius. And I gasp when the dome above us slowly separates, water pooling near our ankles until we're completely surrounded. My nerves spike thinking about Scorpius swimming but I was supposed to trust him. If he said he could swim than I would have to believe it.

As I stare at Scorpius floating next to me, I mentally promise myself if things go south then I would bring us both back. No matter what we found, I had to take our lives into consideration.

Scorpius pushes himself off the ground and dives straight into the vast waters in front of us. He's so fast that I have to push my tail harder than I was expecting to to catch up with him. Peering back over his shoulder, he smirks at me.

"You seem to forget that I'm half Luniod too." he teases. He was right. All those times Atmis had been in the water with him, he most likely had been taught how to move through it. It made sense now why it seemed like he was sprinting. "Which house are we heading to?"

I look around at the few houses below and the image of Seren hiding in one of them comes to the front of my mind. I had to keep my distance, especially since I was with Scorpius. The last thing I wanted was for either of them to come in contact. Looking up, I spot a house in the corner hidden near the edge of the field.

"That one." I tell him, pointing as I shift my body in that direction. He follows behind me, my tail brushing against him every now and again. It reminds me of my mother, of home.