Chapter 15: So It Begins

"Are you ready to begin?" Thysus questions as we both stand up and walk over to the center of the room. Above us is a stained glass image of a bright star circled by a ring of other smaller ones. I assume that was the love that Kriana and Sosten had created with each of their powers.

I wonder where in the galaxy both of them could be. It wasn't likely they had separated, but why hadn't I heard of them or even known there were other Gods and Goddess that came here before?

"Will it be painful?" I ask, nervously. She puts her hand delicately on my shoulder.

"No, my love. It will feel like a weight, but you will feel no pain from it."

"Like the mist outside."

"Exactly. Now give me your first finger from your weaker hand." she demands in a soft voice. I take a few steps towards her, the room suddenly feeling claustrophobic the closer we get. I extend my left hand towards her and, with her right hand, she grabs it.

The magic to keep me calm is completely gone. The dread was overwhelming me now waiting for what was to come. Even though she claimed I would feel no physical pain, she had no idea the emotional hysteria I would go through.

She grabs my hand in hers, leaning forward closer to me while I struggled internally not to move back. My heart was rattling against my ribcage, the dread settling deep in the pit of my stomach. I couldn't look away though. I wanted to avert my eyes and slam my feet towards the door but I was stuck. My bare feet felt glued to marble beneath me.

Thysus closes her eyes leaning forward a bit more towards our intertwined hands. And that's when I feel it. The crushing weight. It knocks the wind out of me, pushing down so hard on my shoulders I feel my knees buckle underneath me.

I dig my nails into my free hand, fighting the urge to fall to the floor while the weight continues to push down on me. Thysus doesn't seem affected at all by what I'm feeling. Maybe she didn't know whatever she was doing had begun. I wonder if she's aware of anything at this point.

Her head tilts back, her eyes fixed on the stained glass images above us. When she looks back at me, the gold in her iris brighten but it doesn't seem like she's focused on me. She appears to be looking through me.

The weight becomes heavier, pushing down not only my shoulders but the top of my head. It's like the ceiling is crashing on me. I want to look up to see if I can see anything, but I can't get my neck to move back. The weight was too much. I dig my nails deeper into my palm, trying to keep the panic under control.

Thysus squeezes my hand, the golden talon almost piercing through my skin. It sends a surge of alarm through me. I don't want to lose my senses again. I want to scream. A light comes out of her palm and covers mine. It's so bright that I have to squint to see what's happening in front of me.

A rush of fierce heat travels through my hand, moving up my arm and towards my shoulder. It wasn't a comforting warmth like I had felt when I first opened the door to this room. No, it was something unbearable. My skin felt like it was boiling. Instinctively, I try to pull my arm out of Thysus' grip but she just holds on tighter. The golden claw digs a little deeper into my hand creating a wave of nausea when I remember what can happen if it pricks my skin.

The heat increases and so does the weight pushing me to the floor. My tail stiffens trying to keep me from falling over. I don't know how much of this I could take. I have never felt something so feverish in my life. I have to look down to make sure my skin is still intact and hasn't melted off my body.

My wide eyes glance at Thysus again but her gaze is still out of focus. How much longer would this uncomfortable pain go on? She promised it wouldn't hurt yet my arm felt like it was being thrusted into a fire. Right when I'm about to cry out, the heat starts to fade, the dense weight gently lifting. A trickle of sweat drips down my face and I slowly unclench my fist. I don't want to look down to see the damage my nails had done.