Chapter 52

November 2018

Since meeting Anna's whole family last Thanksgiving, Tom had kept in contact with her cousins. While Tom was in staying in Los Angeles they had invited him and Anna out a few times, sometimes even going to their house to hang out.

Tom was once again joining Anna's family for Thanksgiving. They were on their way to Elena's house with the dish they were in charge of making. Her family couldn't wait to see the couple and congratulate them in person. They were all very excited for Anna and knew that Tom was a perfect match for her from the moment they met him.

As soon as they walked into Elena's house they were immediately engulfed in hugs by her family. "Felicidades mija!" one of her aunts said as she hugged them both.

"Gracias tia!" Her family was so happy for her and kept asking her for all the details of the engagement.

Tom and Anna had some more big news that they had only told her three best friends. They were both very nervous to how her family would react. Once dinner was served, they decided it was time to talk to them. They were about to get everyone's attention before one of her cousins asked them exactly what they were just about to announce. "So where are you guys gonna live once you're married?"

"Yeah. I mean Anna lives in LA, Tom lives in London. Is one of you moving to a new country or are you guys gonna move somewhere completely new?"

"Well actually we wanted to talk to all of you about that," Anna paused before Tom grabbed her hand in support, "We decided that after we get married, we'll be living in London."

The room was silent for a few seconds before Elena spoke up, "I'm really going to miss you mija. But that's wonderful news. I am very happy for you two."

"You mean you're not upset?"

Elena took a second to gather her thoughts, tears forming in her eyes. "No not at all. I am of course sad that my baby is moving so far away. But when you first introduced me to Thomas, I had a feeling this day would come." Anna got up to hug her mom. They began crying together causing everyone else to tear up. "Thomas come over here." Tom got up and wrapped his arms around the two ladies. Now all three of them were silently crying together. "Just please promise me you'll take care of my little girl."

"For the rest of my life. I love her very much."

"Well welcome to the family Thomas," she smiled at the couple.

When the three of them finally stopped crying, everyone continued to eat their dinner. Most of it was spent with her aunts and uncles giving them advice on marriage. Once dinner was done, Anna and Tom pulled Elena aside to talk to her about something important.

"Thank you for being so supportive mama," Anna said as she hugged her mom.

"I will always support you mija," she smiled. "But I expect to be invited to visit you in your new home."

"You'd be welcome whenever you want," Anna said.

"Actually we wanted to talk to you about something mama," Tom said. "We were going to be spending Christmas in London again this year and we were really hoping you would join us. My family really wants to meet you and they were very excited when we told them about our idea to invite you."

"I'd love to! I just need to put in a request for time off at work. How long would we be going?"

"For two weeks. We were planning on spending New Year's Eve there too."

"Okay that should be fine. Just let me know how much it's going to be."

"Don't be silly mama. It's on me," Tom insisted.

"What? No, no. It's okay. I can pay for myself," she pleaded.

"Just consider it a Christmas gift."

Elena sighed, knowing she wasn't going to win this argument. "Fine. Just get me the cheapest ticket you find."

"Absolutely not! You will be flying with us in first class. My mother-in-law deserves the best!"

"Well thank you Thomas. I appreciate it."

The rest of the night went great. Her family really put in an effort in trying to get to know Tom better. They had even made plans to hang out before they flew out to London. Some of them were even trying to get spoilers for Spider-Man: Far From Home. Tom stayed strong and told them nothing. He did promise them that he would host a screening for them after the premiere which they were all extremely excited for.

When Anna first introduced Tom to them, she was scared that they wouldn't like him. Within her cousins, he was the first significant other to be brought to meet the family so she really didn't know what to expect. She was beyond happy to see the way her family treated him. They had all welcomed him with open arms into their family.

She was also still very surprised at how well her family took the news of her moving. She thought for sure they'd either be upset or try to talk her out of it. But they were all very happy for her and knew it was the best decision for them. Now all that was left was to let his family know. Tom and Anna already knew they'd be more than happy to hear that they'd be living so close to them.