Chapter 16

March 2017

Plans for Alex's birthday party were all ready. Anna had called her cousin to let her know she was bringing a big surprise for Alex. All she really said to her was that it was a short performance so that she could make sure she left time for Tom to do his thing.

Since it was so last minute, Anna and Tom had to go to a costume store in Hollywood and try to to find a Spider-Man costume. Because Captain America: Civil War had just premiered the year before it wasn't too hard to find his version of the suit. It obviously didn't look as good as the real thing but it would do the job.

The morning of the party Anna and Tom were getting ready. Tom was used to having people help him into the suit so he had to ask Anna for help. He noticed that she seemed nervous about something. "What's going on?"

She didn't even realize that she had zoned out until she heard Tom's voice. "Huh? Oh nothing," she said as she finished zipping up his suit. "And you're done."

"Anna I can practically see the gears in your head turning. What's up?" he turned around to loosely wrap his arms around her.

She rested her head on his chest, "I'm just a little nervous," she sighed.

"Talk to me. What's going through your mind?"

"I've just never introduced anyone to my family before. I've only ever dated casually. My mom doesn't even know I was dating anyone, let alone now have my first real boyfriend. A few of my cousins probably saw my post on Instagram but I doubt they paid much attention to it. What are they all going to think? Are they going to recognize you? I mean you're famous. They all know how much of a crush I've had on you. And what about-"

"Sweetheart breathe," Tom said before placing his lips on hers. He moved away and held her face as she took a few deep breaths to calm down. "Darling we don't have to do this if you don't want to."

"No. No I want to. This would be a great surprise for Alex. And we don't have to stay and mingle after. I can just quickly introduce you to my mom and we can go. She'll understand. I'm just not ready for all the questions that I'm sure they'll have."

"Whatever you want to do is fine with me. We'll do whatever makes you comfortable."

"Thank you."

On the way to the party, Anna had picked up Mila, Maria, and Monica since they were all invited as well. They were the last to arrive at the party and the girls went in first to let Anna's cousin know to gather all the children for the surprise. Once all the kids were gathered, Tom walked in in his Spider-Man costume. The kids all started screaming and jumping in excitement as their favorite superhero was there to play with them. Tom was so great with the kids and of course gave extra special attention to the birthday boy. After he was done playing with them and taking pictures with all of them he made his way over to where Anna was.

Anna had told her cousin that he was a friend of her's so she told her that he could stay for the party. Tom had brought extra clothes to change into, so Anna led him to the bathroom to get out of his costume. Once he was all changed Anna hugged him, letting out a deep breath. "You ready to meet everyone?"

"Yes of course. Now don't be nervous. Everything will be just fine."

As they walked back out to the party, everyone turned their heads towards them, curious to see who the man under the mask was. All Anna and Tom saw were everyone's eyes go wide and mouths drop. They walked over to where her mom and friends were talking with a few other family members. The one's who recognized him all looked extremely surprised to see who was now standing there with them. Her cousin leaned over to Anna, "How the fuck did you manage to get the Tom Holland to come to a kid's party dressed as Spider-Man?"

"Well about that," Anna said grabbing Tom's hands, interlocking her fingers with his, "Meet my boyfriend, Tom."

Silence filled the party as everyone looked over at the two. Everyone was shocked to say the least. It was already exciting that Anna was finally introducing a boyfriend to the family, but the fact that it was Tom Holland, the boy they all knew she loved for years, was enough to have them all surrounding Anna congratulating her. Anna was relieved to see how happy her family was. Even having her aunts who only spoke Spanish wishing her well.

Once everyone was done talking to them, Anna's mom, Elena, pulled her daughter and Tom aside making Anna incredibly nervous as to what her mom would say about her new relationship. Anna has always been very private about her love life and hasn't even really been in any serious relationships. When Elena finally stood face to face with Anna and Tom she couldn't help the smile that grew on her face. "Hello Tom I'm Anna's mom, Elena. It is great to meet you," Elena said bringing him into a hug.

"Hi Ms. Garcia. It is lovely to meet you. Anna has told me so much about you."

"All good things I hope. And please call me Elena."

"Well Elena I must say you have done a fantastic job raising this young lady right here."

"Thank you, it means a lot to hear you say that. It's been hard being a single mother but Anna has made it so worth it."

"Oh stop it you two before I start crying," Anna said while leaning over to hug her mom.

"You take care of my baby. She's the only one I got," Elena said still hugging Anna.

Anna and Tom talked to her mom for a few more minutes before she was ready to leave. "Mama can you tell everyone I said bye. I'm just not ready to deal with all the questions and comments. And please tell them to keep this private."

"Of course mija. I understand. And I'll talk to everyone. But I do expect to be invited over soon to cook for you guys. I want to get to know your boyfriend better."

"We'd love to have you over Elena. If we don't have time this week maybe next time I'm in town."

"I'm counting on it," Elena said causing both Anna and Tom smile brightly.

***

Anna Garcia posted a story