A stick and a branch

Not beta read, too lazy lol
—————————————————————————
Leaves bellow in the wind, rustling amongst green pigments and occasionally blocking the rays of the sun. Dasani blinks up and surveys the surrounding nature, trying to decipher how people fall in love with environments.

The bandage on his eyes is starting to become an unbearable moisture; undetermined between tears or sweat. A single stick prods at the blades of his back, increasing the discomfort on his resting ground below him. His barren eye searches aimlessly for a single detail to grasp at; a distraction.

Distraction from the exploding pain of his wrist that's currently bent at a weird angle.

Most likely fractured, He depicts from observing the injury. Exhaling a long breath, he rests his head onto the spiky blades of grass. Staring once again at the light blue expanse littered with many clouds. He hears the rushing noises of dancing feet.

"Dazai!" A voice shouts nervously. "Dazai, are you ok?"

Dazai winces slightly when grubby hands manage to pay against his injured wrist.

"Ah, sorry!" The other shouts, panting from the long run. Dazai looks up into bichromatic eyes that produce tears by the second, the yellow and purple turning into sparkling gloss that stirs a hole in him.

Why does he look even cuter when he cries? He asks himself, feeling the familiar heat bubble up in his throat.

"It's okay, I'm okay." He declares, lying still on his back to watch tiny sparrows noisily zip past. "What are you doing here, Atsushi?"

The smaller child furrows his brows, "Because I saw you fall. I wanted to make sure you were still alive."

Dazai blinks at Atsushi, taking in the dried stream of tears that had landed on his shirt. The soft ruffle platinum hair got when sprinting to his aid, Atsushi's little knees produce faint scratchings on milky smooth skin.

Dazai seethes behind his teeth as he picks his upper body up, followed by a startled noise from Atsushi's pink lips. Tanned hands move over to softly brush tiny sediments that dug into Atsushi's delicate flesh.

"You're hurt! We must go to Yosano." Atsushi grasps at an uninjured hand, "Please, get up." He whispers sadly when a struggle became apparent.

Dazai flicks his attention to vibrant irises, absorbing the gentle waves that caresses his soul. He bites his lip and forcibly takes a step off the ground, keeping contact with Atsushi.

"Okay, let's go." He says and trots beside the angelic child that squeezes his hand in constant reassurance.

.

The scratchy fabric of a faded green blanket pushes its weight down on Dazai, the smell of disinfectant clinging to his nostril as a pale hand clings to his. Dark violet eyes land on his face; expression stern as her bright rose lips move in words. A strong grip squishes the bones of his slim fingers.

Dazai blinks once and all that's left is Atsushi's head pillowed sweetly on the crook of his arm. He could vaguely hear the distant grave voices behind the door, discussing the destruction of his wrist.

Atsushi's nose twitches slightly, alerting Dazai of his growing consciousness. White fluffy hair brushes against his slender chin, giving way to glazed irises. Dazai intently watches as Atsushi blearily scans the room, startling upon recognition of their surroundings.

"Dazai." He speaks lowly, softly, "Are you ok? Does it still hurt?" His eyes inspect every crevice or wrinkle that morphs on the others face.

Dazai exhales, leaning back against a scentless pillow and turning to decipher a plain pattern on a pair of curtains.

"I'm fine." Got him a flick to his uninjured hand. Dazai sets his jaw before turning to glare at his companion.

Atsushi returns the same venom, "You're always fine." He air quotes with his fingers — the missing warmth from Dazai's palm goes blatantly noticed — "When are you never fine?"

Dazai goes back to mourning the design of the curtains, clutching the itchy blanket as fire dances in his lungs. Atsushi sniffs cutely from his nose, another sign Dazai memorized about him. So, instead of calling out, the elder of the two children takes the youngest fingers and intertwines them.

A silent beg that both knew very well and ended with them memorizing the repetitive zig zags of the cloth in front of them.

"Children," They turn to view Fukuzawa entering with a folded paper under his arm, "What would you like to eat?"

With no hesitation, Atsushi grins and excitedly says, "Burgers!" Dazai grunts his approval.

.

A little yawn escapes Atsushi's lips, having Dazai gesture for the other to topple over him, the action done in perfection. The brunette allows a fluffy blanket — courtesy of Yosano — to cover Atsushi up to his chin.

"This is like a sleep over!" He giggles out, nuzzling his mouth on the edge of the blanket.

Dazai huffs, "Always so positive." Atsushi smiles.

"It's best for at least one of us to be."

————————————————————

I'm back!