Unexpected

"Dazai, get up." A distant voice whispers considerably, gently shaking his shoulder. "It's time for school, your first day of first grade."

Even with his hazy mind, Dazai could still recognize the monotone voice belonging to that of Ango. The gently shaking of his shoulder is of a foreign sensation, Dazai normally awoke on his own, not requiring any help of another.

"Mm." He groans into the pillow, pulling the blankets tight against his body, a rebellious act that Ango disliked.

"Dazai." He warns, "Last call, I've let you sleep in a bit." The bed creaks with the lost weight of Ango, his steps patted on the carpeted floor. "Get up."

Dazai frowns, fingers digging into his blue blanket before releasing his grip. Slowly raising his head, he blinks sluggishly, rubbing at the heaviness within his eyes. He gives a small yawn, stretching his arms way above his head before taking in his surroundings.

His assortment of books line up the top shelf near his dresser, his small closet door slightly ajar and displaying many clothing. Rustling with the bed sheets, Dazai throws his feet to the floor, wiggling his toes against the soft plush.

Moving along his room, he stops in front of his closet, yanking off a uniform from it's hanger. Changing in a daze, he saunters over to the kitchen where a plate of crab is prepared on his place. Instantly, his mood brightens.

"Look, I know first day of school is stressful." Ango points out, wiping his hands on a napkin, "So I made you your favorite. Eat."

Dazai does not need to be told twice, clapping his hands half-heartedly, he digs his fork into the meat and chomps it messily. Ango makes a face but sighs loudly before taking his own seat. He reads a paper — most likely Odasaku's drafts — while spooning his own breakfast. Although Dazai is keeping a calm facade, inside his stomach is a swirling turmoil of anxieties.

He needed to be appealing to others, to blend with the crowd, to be apart of them instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. It's put too much pressure on his little shoulders, studying all the necessary behaviors of children in his age. Of course, Ango reassured that no one would judge, but even that talk did little to diminish the stress.

Dazai could feel the food going bland in his mouth, his stomach did a dive once more. He hated when even his favorite things don't do well to calm his mind; it used to work. Ango glances at him from the top of his glasses, putting his page down and leaning forward.

"You ok?" He asks, trying to sweep any excess crumbs from the table.

"Yes."

"Nervous?"

Dazai doesn't respond, instead shoveling another forkful of crab into his mouth. Ango closes his eyes and breathes, something he does to process his next steps.

"Now, Dazai. Nothing is going to happen, it'll all be fine." Ango winces, "You shouldn't be in an age where you feel this way."

Dazai flicks his vision to his father, blinking slowly in comprehension. It was best to agree with Ango's words, however much they didn't work. Besides, the brunette was too tired to argue back.

"Oh shoot, we have to get going." Ango scrambles with his items, pushing his glasses up his nose. Dazai watches him run rampant around the kitchen, organizing any mess that catches his eye. He only follows suit when Ango blows a raspberry beneath his breath.

Dazai paddles to the restroom, taking his toothbrush out and proceeding with the cleaning of dentistry. He fiddles with his hair, unsure of the exact hairstyle he'd like, ultimately deciding on ruffling it into a whatever-like state. Smoothing creases from his collar, he gives himself a once over before turning the knob and heading out.