(Un)fortunately

There was a proud kingdom. Home to the intelligent, the dauntless, royals and regals. Elegance and poise in every nook and corner, finest jewels and gold littering on the floor without a bother.

Monarchs were at the top of the food chain, why wouldn't they be?

"...Which is why the reason marrying is important is to continue the line of memorable rulers for this kingdom." Kunikida explains, pointing at the board with his stick.

Hirotsu blows slowly into his tea cup, eyebrows raising when taking a tentative sip of the honey lemon flavored beverage. He eyes the brunette in front of him, uniform wrinkled and creased, back slumped on the desk. Hair tousled, covering the entirety of his face which no doubt is resting lazily on the surface.

Hirotsu braces his ears from the never ending screeching of Kunikida. Observing as a vein pops from the forehead sculpted with lines, mouth pulled down into a tight frown before opening his jaw. Dazai yelps in surprise when the stick strikes at his head, standing abruptly when his collar is grabbed.

Kunikida snatches him up, yelling profanities at his face and stick dangerously prodding into Dazai's chest. Hirotsu sighs out, the steam from his glass cup moving with the puff of air. Standing up to maneuver both males apart from one another, his fingers massaging his temples.

"Kunikida, why don't I converse with Dazai? Take a break." The blonde sputters, refusing the idea of a rest when his duty must've been fulfilled ages ago. Which wasn't possible with all those efforts, when Dazai was lost inside his mind.

"Go, Kunikida. It's fine." Hirotsu tries with more order, hardening his tone for zero defiance as response.

Dazai stares off into the ground, seemingly interested in the cracks on the marble floors. Acutely aware of the clacking of Kunikida's boots along the ground before the door closes with a loud thud.

Exhaling slowly, Hirotsu calculates the passing breaths Dazai is undoubtedly counting for himself. Porcelain clanks when laid gently on the marble coffee table. Noticing the way Dazai's shoulders move up and down on a particularly hard exhale, Hirotsu pins the reason down.

"Did you sleep well?" He asks, coming over to stand in front of the younger.

"No."

"Might you enlighten me of the reason?"

When silence passes for more seconds Hirotsu would like to have, he reaches beneath a roller cart, producing one silver platter of canned crabmeat. The smell wafted through the air and into Dazai's twitching nose, biting his slightly chapped lips when pleading with his eyes for the dish.

"Not until you answer my inquiries." Hirotsu walks over to the previous couch he sat on, patting the vacant space for Dazai to sit. He did so, although keeping his head down.

"Now, what is troubling you, Prince Dazai?" Hirotsu asks, eyeing the timid expression that somehow etched on the royal's face.

"It's just...Kunikida is sending me to the village." Dazai starts, eyebrows scrunching with feigned concentration, "He's forcing me to live with some commoner! Not only that, I might have to marry them."

Hirotsu lets out an 'ah' nodding slowly in mock understanding, dismissing Dazai's grabbing hands. "Of course you don't have to marry the commoner, right? You're only going to the village for...?"

"Kunikida says it'll open my eyes for future reference of me taking the throne. Even Ranpo agreed with me going there." Dazai snaps his jaw harshly, gears turning wildly inside his mind, trying to make sense of the situation.

"Prince Ranpo is in on this as well?" Hirotsu questions, one perfectly trimmed eyebrow raised.

"Yes, what kind of brother is he?"